GTR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is their (according to design, trim, A/R, etc) max efficiency? At what boost pressure are they just making more heat and not more power? Assuming that ceramics were indestructable (which they're not but just for the sake of argument), could the stock design push 1.6bar? 2.0bar?

About what bhp is the engine making at 1.4bar? And finally, has anyone beaten the crap out of a pair of ceramics until they broke? What did it take to blow the ceramic blades off the wheel in the real world?

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
As i understand the ceramic wheels are bonded to the shafts and pushing for more boost requiers more revs from the turbos which the ceramic wheels cant take so they fall off!

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
assuming the wheels don't fall off, what are the overall characteristics of the turbo? Most efficient boost pressure, etc?

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
For sure not over 1.1-1.15 bars,because of the small size,everything over that pressure will make more heat then power. For sure will you feel a difference when running them with lets say 1.6 bar,but they will break down very fast and will run with very bad efficiency,so it would be stupid to do this. Bigger turbos would do much more power at lower boostlevels,so why going for standard with high boost.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
I've been told that anything over 1.3bar they just get hotter.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my high boost is 1.35bar - my PFC is set to 1.3 but it'll run over a little bit if I redline the engine.

There's a big difference between that setting and 1.1bar (my low boost curve) - definitely came in handy when I raced a Maserati on the Seoul-Bundang highway tonight. Couldn't have put him away otherwise - he was fast.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I was basically told if in mint condition they will push 450bhp/460bhp at the fly but that's the limit after that they just heat up the air - no more power but lots more det. 450bhp is kinda the limit before spending really big money on new turbos etc.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
10 lbs/min is approx 90hp.

You can run to about 23lbs/min and stay in the 75% efficiency area at 1.3 bar boost which is around 450hp.

You can push up to 27lbs/min at 1.4 bar but you'll need good intercooling to reduce the charge air temperatures as you are only at 65% efficiency.
Note that the turbo shaft is spinning at 153,500rpm

Any more than 1.4 bar at high compressor air flow rates and you will have seriously hot intake air. 2bar is a bad idea at full throttle, high rpm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts