GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright were all booked up and heading on the 14th of April. Coming from Ireland, First were goin on ferry to France then driving on to the ring. I have a few question on
1st: Car, I.E water levels and oil changes and brake fuel, As the car will be put through its paces, Can anyone tell me what brake fluid and stuff to use, Also a cooling period "AS I dont have a uk spec 34 no oil cooler"

2nd: The Ring its self, I.E what will be needed for.I havent been before nor no anyone in my area that has, Im just wonderin as I will have my licence with me and my ins policy will these be asked for also will a helmet be needed.

Please lads any help would be great as I woul;d really love this trip to go off smoothly.

P.S.... Friend of mine also wonderin can you hire car out there, for the ring ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
deef said:
2nd: The Ring its self, I.E what will be needed for.I havent been before nor no anyone in my area that has, Im just wonderin as I will have my licence with me and my ins policy will these be asked for also will a helmet be needed.

P.S.... Friend of mine also wonderin can you hire car out there, for the ring ?
No, you dont need a helmet as the Ring is a public road with the only difference that you pay for it.
But I´d wear one anyway cause safety comes first ;)

I dont think that you can hire a car at the Ring but theoretically spoken you could hire one at any german car rental and take it to the Ring.

·
Registered
310 Posts
To drive on the ring you need a valid driver's license, and you must be insured to drive in Germany. It's not a racetrack, it's a toll road so road insurance applies. Worth noting that if you do crash, just tell the insurance company that you were on a road near Adenau so they don't get funny.

Other than that you will need some cash (15 euros per lap or thereabouts), I don't know any skyline specifics but make sure that your tyres, brake discs/pads/fluid, coolant and oil are all up to scratch. There is a garage a mile or so from the start/finish that has 'Super' petrol (98/99 RON?), plus synthetic oil etc. If you stack it there are plenty of garages that can help you out, though you'll have to pay for any armco you damage and any helicopters needed to get you to hospital!

You can hire cars for the ring but it's expensive. If you just hire a car at Frankfurt airport or wherever then I was informed last time I was there that hire car companies check video from the start finish and penalise any driver using a hire car for the ring. Not sure how accurate this is however.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
get hold of someone who knows the ring and do like 25 learning laps!

even go to ring school if you are serious!

saves binning a nice R34 and the ring is lethal

JOIN THE ADAC for sure. costs like 50 euros and they will tow you off the ring if you break down, hole a piston or even bin it into the close by barriers. as the ring is a public road then you have rights to this. otherwise you will be charged like 150 pounds to be towed off by the ring trucks.

ADAC can also get you back home too. check out www.adac.de. apply for euro membership.

also as the ring is a public road then if you do bin it then no need to lie to the insurance company. a road near adenau is bending it too far if you ask me!

just make sure your suspension is not too firm or if you have adjustables at least allow some rebound & movement otherwise it will be a mare!

stay off the kerbs of you like your gearbox and drive shafts!

There is an ARAL station as you join or leave at Breidschied (half way round) that sells super. lots of others around in the. villages near the ring

if you can get a helmet then take it as you never know!

other than that watch out for bikers 5 abreast coming out of blind corner going much slower than you, always look in your mirrors for cars that look like sheds but will be much quicker than you ( mk2 golfs, m3 e30s) and make sure you get into the Pistonklause for a few beers.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
deef

for gods sake get an oil cooler fitted before you cook the engine! if you do one more mod then make sure this is it. would cost you like 300 pounds i would have thought.

escpecially for the ring as you can get some real speed going on the run up to the Karusel and to the finish along Doettinger Hohe.

·
Administrator
31,408 Posts
oil cooler is my priority before i go

only thing is i can't fit it myself, and Ron at RK only fits GREDDY/HKS etc, and thats like £700 fitted :(

don't trust my local mechanic anymore either :(

mook

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
look up think automotive as you can get a skyline kit from them a lot lot cheaper!!

they are based in isleworth which is just up the road from me in twickenham

get a local mechanic to fit it as only a few flange plates and location.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
The think kit is a bit of a crap fit though. I have one and it cost me more to get fitted. In the end the costs were comparable to just getting an HKS one from Abbey or the like in the first place.

Deef, you NEED an oil cooler! Have you got your hotel booked yet? Ive got my ferry booked now too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts