GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All

A friend of mine is thinking of purchasing a Pajero Diesel. The dealer has a copy of the japanese log book and copies of associated docs. Is their any other way that he can check the vehicle or are these bits sufficient. Like I said to him the vehicle is an 'L' reg, so not like the nearly ones we saw on TV. Am I correct in thinking this ?????

Thanks.

Glen.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Ringer

The only conclusive way to know that the car wasn't stolen in Japan seems to be to pay the dealer £20 and they check the Vin plate with a list on numbers that Interpol have on file.Then if they missed something and it was repossesed there would be grounds for a law suit against the dealer.

I don't see how this would stop ringers and cloning though.

I would feel pretty safe if it had the Japanese documents and even better the original documents and the reciept from the auctioneer.

HTH

Steve

·
Registered
534 Posts
Ding dong

When I went to see my old stolen car, the policeman there showed me all sorts of ringing :)

Firstly, ensure that the blue plaque matches up with the VIN stamped into the bodywork.. then if you check this out with your £20, it'll tell you whether that VIN is not on the stolen list and that the details match the car it's on... but that does not rule out that the VIN could have been changed.

Visual inspection of the stamped VIN probably won't show up any tampering ... he said nail polish remover will remove the paint (don't rub or abrade it) and then once you are at bare metal you can see whether it's been overstamped ... BUT they could have cut out the whole section and welded in a new bit of metal with a clean stamping (that's what had happened to my R34)... unfortunately for them, they replaced it with a GTS blue plaque and VIN number so it was a bit obvious!

Cheers

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Auction Document

Dear All.

Can anyone please tell me what an Auction Document looks like as my friend has been offered a copy if he buys the Pajero. Also any other docs that should have come with the car and be at the dealers.

Thanks Guys.

Glen.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Auction doc

I might have one at home for my old car ... I'll check it out for you and Email a scan of it to you if I do....

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts