GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it may time to write a little on my car, the story starts a few years back.
I bought the car from tonigmr2a few years ago with bad rod bearings, some GT2530 turbos and a few then unknown upgrades.
Got the car home to Norway and fixed it with a new crank and some bearings, also found HKS pistons, HKS step one cams, some old Tomei cam pulleys and 66cc injectors z32 AFM`s and some other mods, also had a os giken twin plate, unknown exhaust and bilstein suspension on it.
So the car was fixed but one of the 2530s did not let oil go thru it so put on some R34GTR turbos also bought from Toni, also got the head ported.
Ran the car al summer at 0.8-0.9Bar boost and it worked perfect until a I tried to launch it and blew a turbo.. Got hold of some R33 turbos and put them on, changed oil and filter and was of to the last track day of the summer.
Almost at the track witch is about 500miles from where I live when it spun a bearing..
Opened the engine and found balbearings from the R34 turbo in the sump so a lot of particles had probably gone true the engine...
So about that time I started to hear about RIPS and started to talk to him, this was 2006-2007 cant remember exactly but was before he got big on this forum.
Got a bottom end from him made with big sump, forged internals and a tilton triple plate.
after some time waiting the engine finally was in Norway and I started to work on the car, got the head on after it had been washed and checked, got on a t04z turbo kit and a AEM ecu and this is where the big troubles started.
This was spring time 2007 and I had a lot of problems with the AEM it did not want to fire and finally after months of investigation got it running. it was running with a very high idle and got that adjusted but then it started to blow ecu fuses..
I did not find any faults in the harness and I tried it one last time, and smoke came poring out of the AEM, disaster...
So now it was late in the season and I did not have the motivation to carry on so put the car away and started up again in the winter time, got a Power FC d-jetro installed it and it worked for some time, I had checked the ecu plug and everything measured fine but after a while I blew the main fuse, replaced it measured everything and found some faults so I took out the engine harness and found the injector wires and ground wires on the front of the engine had melted and made contact sometimes.
Don’t know if this was a result of the AEM but I suspect so.
So ordered a new Vipec V88, it is basically the same as the new Link ECU.
Wired this in winter 2008 and was ready to start, I turned the engine on the starter to check that the plugs where firing where they where supposed to when I found a rip in the cam belt, so I replaced this and timed the engine.
Then everything was ready to start but nothing, checked everything but nothing, sometimes I got a puff in the exhaust so there was fuel and spark.
So did a compression test and 0bar on al 6 cylinders.
So from this I concluded that 1 or 2 of the cams had jumped due to the rip in the belt and bent some valves.
So now I had NO motivation to work on the car and thought about selling it as it stood but as 1 of 6 registered R32GTR`s in Norway it’s a little special over here and did not know what to do.
And I had just ordered a new turbo kit, intercooler kit and plenum for RIPS.
I talked to Rob and after a little thinking I decided to send the car down to him.
It needed a good make over since it has been sitting for a long time just driven a little in 2007 and a little in 2008 in the shirt time the ecu`s where working.
So the car was sent down and arrived late July.
Then the work started, it was going to get a engine rebuild, new turbo kit, intercooler and plenum, and a refresh of the engine bay.
This was the original plan..
So the work started they pulled the engine and gearbox and stripped the engine bay for parts, but then the job grew a bit.

We decided to make a new fuel system that was capable of supporting the new turbo a GT4094R rated 850hp and it needed to be able to support E85, this requires a lot more fuel so a 1200hp rated fuel system was planed.

Also it is getting a new 4" exhaust as well as an adapter so I can use my stock exhaust with cat for MOT reasons here in Norway

Al tanks in the engine bay are getting made in Alu, catch tank, washer fluid and servo fluid, a new radiator is also getting put in.

I used the Vipec ecu for a s13 I have with a rb30 so they are installing a new link and mapping it for normal 98 and possibly E85.

The underside of the car is getting done as the Borg project.

The rear subframe and suspension parts and the front suspension is getting done as the Borg as well.

So the job is getting a "little" bigger then planed but as long as work is getting done then why not do it properly?

I don’t have good pictures of the car from before it left but have one nice one from a track day in 2005

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,787 Posts
Well hello! LOL I wondered what happened to that car (I'd just like to point out I sold it as a non-runner with unknown engine issues!!:)).

Seems you've had some fun with it!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So a little on what has happened down at RIPS:

Car has been stripped and treatment of the rust thats there and undersealing has started, the car was washed, dried and inspected no major rust was found but a little damadge to the frame where it has been jacked, and it neede 2 small patches in the spare wheel whell

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well hello! LOL I wondered what happened to that car (I'd just like to point out I sold it as a non-runner with unknown engine issues!!:)).

Seems you've had some fun with it!
It was sold as a non runner picked up on a trailer so no issues there got what I bought.
I don`t know how fun this is seenig the bills but its going to be one fun car when its finished..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the rust beeing treated, and it shows the patches in the boot.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
some more, and some of the Hicas locking bar they made

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fuel system, its a catch tank located in the spare wheel well with a possibility to put a cover on to dampen the noise when using the car normaly.
The cover is powder coated black as you can see in the locking bar picture and it will be covered in carpet to match the rest of the boot, the boot has been painted flat black after the welding was done.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so engine, for some reaon it had started to rust in the bores, this is probbably dou to some etanol content we have it the fuel over here and its been sitting for e some time so a new block was found and rebored to spec.
The bottom end is finshed apart from the oil pump witch is beeing changed from a N1 to a Tomei.
Also found the reason for the cambelt to jump and rip, 2 washers fell down into the crank pully, they where not visibol from the top side so did not see them, it probbly happened when checking the igniton was working so my bad..
The head that was on it did not go true the chack at the the company Rob uses for porting due to hardness was of so it has been overheated at some point so they have a "new" head there for porting and douing the work nessesary for my engine, cams are beeing changed from the HKS 272 8,7mm to some Tomei cams toghether with Tomei springs, dont know the cam spec yet but Robhas an idea of what I want and builds it to my wishes with his input so its is getting as good as can be for this turbosetup.
I dont have any pics of the engine going together but I am sure Rob has some

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turbo kit, not to much to be said other then its a GT4094 low mount setup with plumbed in wastegate pipe.
The 4" to cat pipe you can se in one picture and washer bottle and servo bottle.
Other then this I dont have to many pics that are of interest I think as the work in the engine bay/front suspension has not started fully yet.
There are still inlet plenum, catch tank, exhaust and some other tings to be made, head to be buildt and instalation of the Link ecu, I have to find a sutable gearbox and lots of other smal things to be done.
So enjoi the pictures if you have any questions just ask and I will try to answer as good as I can..

Christian

Attachments

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
i run that turbo on my rb26/30and i love it. mines a top mount with a .96 rear housing, jun cams stage one..not sure of power yet but run it to 2 bar an its relentlesss.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Finally some pics Christian, was amazed when you told me about this project at rudskogen this summer and it's very cool to see the car down at RIPS, it should be in the very best hands.:thumbsup:

Can't wait too see the car back in Norway for next years season and hope i can ride shotgun with you in this beast too, had a great time out in you 350z! :D

Good luck with your project, I'm sure it's gonna be a beast! :bowdown1:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally some pics Christian, was amazed when you told me about this project at rudskogen this summer and it's very cool to see the car down at RIPS, it should be in the very best hands.:thumbsup:

Can't wait too see the car back in Norway for next years season and hope i can ride shotgun with you in this beast too, had a great time out in you 350z! :D

Good luck with your project, I'm sure it's gonna be a beast! :bowdown1:

Was a fun meeting at Rudskogen, and will be back with the GTR next year, if not I have to take the s13 as that sould be a realy fun track car as well..

There will come more pics of engine bay etc when its had some more work, now its just stripped for parts and wiring so not much happened there yet, the car has only been ther for 1,5 months and everyting takes time;)

The engine bay is getting sprayed a new color due to the entire car is changing color and it will look great with the color we have desided for the engine, hoses and fittings.

And I am abroad working so the internet conection is realy slow so cant uppload anything even if I wanted to.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Very cool Christian and my god you went through a lot with this car!! :flame:
Just from reading it I got urges to slam the car to pieces with a smashhammer after the 3rd ECU. Can't imagine how you must have felt! You're a very patient man!!

It's in good hands now though :clap:

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Thats awesome man, pretty much identical engine spec to what I'd love to have if I were building a track/drag/street monster GTR... really looking forward to hearing how this comes out :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Vi-PEC V88 ecu...awesome piece of kit that...i run one in my 9.4 second Street GTR.

Engine control is simply incredible.

Subscribes to thread.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts