GTR Forum banner

What works best for you price or location wise?

Votes: 4 22.2%

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Location: Ross on Wye, prices, double room £80, dinner tbc £23 - £35

Votes: 4 22.2%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

After much trawling around Claire, Emma and myself are now down to three hotels. We would like to do a quick 'straw poll' to get a few more opinions. We will have to make this a very short time, as we really do need to get this booked! I have listed these by location and prices. There is no doubt there WILL have to be a compromise somewhere, and this is where we need your help! Sorry for the short time allowance, but if we dither too much we risk losing all of them anyway!!!

Thanks Guys!

Sue, Emma and Claire!

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
I like Oxford :)

But think it would be fairer if us southerners go have a bit of a drive this year.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
AGM

Further to Sue's posting....

The GTR Owners Club (UK) Annual General Meeting for 2006 will take place at the same venue as the Xmas party. As a member of the GTROC you are entitled to attend this AGM and take part in the proceedings. The AGM is your opportunity to make your points directly to the Club and to discuss openly how it is run.

Please vote and if you would like to attend, then please add your name to this list http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?t=59217

This poll is only for today, so PLEASE vote and save me, Sue and Emma from boiling our brains in a large saucepan and calling it dinner.:p

Thanks
Claire

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Some info for anyone else from Scotland who fancies going.....

For Ross on Wye or Derby - Easyjet, Glasgow to Bristol = £80 return for a couple.

For Oxford - Ryanair, Prestwick to Stansted = £90 return for a couple.

Not more than 1.5 hour drive with a rental car from either of these locations.

Driving time is the similar for all three venues from the airports, so it comes down to cost. £118 is a bit much if I wanted to extend the trip to the whole weekend, so I'll opt for the £80 option although I'm happy enough with Oxford if it's the same venue as last year.

Can I have some venue info pm'd please ?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Well just placed my vote :)

BUT.....

I have now made it 3 votes through the board!!

Hope they help you girls decide. LMAO!!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
davewilkins said:
where is derby is that expensive:chairshot
Exactly what i was thinking:confused:

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
davewilkins said:
lol
where is derby is that expensive:chairshot
LOL!

Dave you would be surprised! I found some gorgeous hotels further north than that, and the prices were horrendous! Mmmm, do book our hotel for five grand LOL! Couldn't believe it to be honest, just how hard it is! You also have to remember, that many of the hotels do big party nights on Fridays and Saturdays during Christmas. Or, some of the smaller, but nicer hotels were already booked for weddings, even in December. BIG respect to Claire and John though, for sorting all this in years previous. I honestly could not believe what a massive undertaking this would be, and am dreading our next phone bill ha ha ha!

Thanks those taking the time to vote! At least we are getting a bit of an idea..well....sort of LOL! Now you know why we are so stuck!

Suexx

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
The areas where membership is the lowest are Wales, and the North West. Nothing against our members that live in these areas but surely it makes sense to hold the event where penetrastion is at it's highest: East Midlands, North East, Scotland, South East

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
There are several ways of looking at this.
Wales not because of an abundance of members, but fairer to those who live further North to travel down, and those around the South and coastal areas(of which there are a fair few, to travel up.
If those who did live further afield felt strongly enough about getting together but didnt want to travel, there is always the possibility of someone organising a seperate function, although i'd rather everyone was at one( just a option though)
If we keep it around the Oxford area, which i personally dont think is particularly central to the UK, would we risk losing valued members participance?
If the vote does go for further North, would we still get interest anyway?, as i have also noticed a lack of interest in the past, for which reasons i'm not sure!
This poll really needs to be looked at by all, considering the amount of members!!
Although it sounds harsh, if people cant be bothered to vote, then the destination will speak for itself.
I really do hope this poll gets a good response by the end of day.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Hi Paul,

I agree with what you say and it is a hell of a job to find the right location in terms of facilities, atmosphere, price and all that. For the last 3 years Claire has done the job and it really is an incredibly difficult task. For the last two years we have driven around over several days visitng locations and spending a lot of time (and petrol :D) trying to find the right place. Whoever does this task I do not envy them!

Having separate events is rally a non-starter. We are one club and we should celebrate that and not have separate events. We can have only one AGM and that is as much part of the weekend as the dinner. For this year we also have awards and presentations and holding it in multiple venues would not work.

As for Oxford, yes it is a good location but, if truth be known it still suits the Southern bias. By the way we have more members in Scotland than we do Wales and the South West of England. And, Oxford, though ideal in the past may not be best suited for the future;

London to Oxford 54 miles
Bristol to Oxford 72 miles
Leicester to Oxford 78 miles
Rochester to Oxford 108 miles
Sheffield to Oxford 141 miles
Newcastle to Oxford 258 miles
Glasgow to Oxford 365 miles

All that said.....................
It's great to see you, Emma, Sue and Claire really working hard to find the right location. Good luck! :)

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
Fuggles said:
All that said.....................
It's great to see you, Emma, Sue and Claire really working hard to find the right location. Good luck! :)
Dont thank me, i just get bombarded with about 70 odd e-mails every day, ballgowns and "Oh, look at those sweeping staircases", while i'm trying to scan all my racing photos ....:) :p

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Before i vote can someone please tell me the name of the Hotel in Ross-On-Wye.
I`m not being fussy but i have done alot of work in Ross and they have 1 very good hotel and 1, well not so good. If its the Chase Hotel then i can highly recommend it.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Thats just outside of Ross on the way to Hereford. Its a very good Hotel.
I`ve never had the time to go to the Christmas party before but will do my best this year.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Fuggles said:
Glasgow to Oxford 365 miles
Not really relevant John, it's far more economical (time & money) to fly down and take a rental car.

It's not like we're all going to be sober enough to go for a drive in the middle of the night, so Skyline not required. :D

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hodgie said:
Thats just outside of Ross on the way to Hereford. Its a very good Hotel.
I`ve never had the time to go to the Christmas party before but will do my best this year.
It is a gorgeous hotel and has the sweeping staircase LOL! Having said that, if Oxford gets the vote, then I would like to confuse the issue further by adding another smaller award winning hotel, for which we would get almost exclusive use, and is stunning! Winner of the Tourism South East Best Small Hotel 2005). There are only ten bedrooms, but apparently there is a lovely little b&b in the village (the only one?), but considering the people that stayed in a b&b last year and were not too happy with the service would absolutely double check that too!

This has absolutely been a really tough job! And John and Claire need so much praise for the sterling effort put in during previous years. There has been three of us frantically searching, before everywhere nice gets booked, and still we are struggling!

As has been pointed out though, we should remember the guys in the Southwest as well as the guys up North etc! In my honest opinion, all the hotels would be well worth the visit, not to mention the company and atmosphere usually present at these parties!

Suexx

·
Registered
54 Posts
My hats off to Sue and Claire as they have done a grand job finding these hotels.
i Have been soo busy at work i have not had that much time to help but have helped were i can. i can do more to help now that i have access to this / gtroc xmas doo thread.
Claire / Sue will email you from work tom
i like all three venues and we will prob travel to any ony of them as the agm / xmas doo is a great event.
Please excuse the little i's the keyboard on my laptop is not workng great and i have to copy and paste i's & k's!! very frustrating

Emma

1 - 19 of 19 Posts