GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alot but most of the cost is in the prep as the bodywork really does have to be as smooth as glass. IIRC this is actually black paint with an immensley shiny 'chrome' lacquer. Immense road presence :D

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
that crazy that, bet it woluld look awsome in the flesh / metal.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Sure i've seen that pic somewhere before... Looks mental, wouldn't wanna drive aound in that on a sunny day!

I reckon you're right about the process unless the bumper and skirts are made of metal...

Sev

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
that crazy that, bet it woluld look awsome in the flesh / metal.
No, they look absolute crap in the flesh/metal, a really bad finish, (I've seen a few chrome jobs now, all of which I'd paint over if it was mine).

Yes its a black primer, which needs to be totally perfect, then a chrome laquer type material over the top.

Alex B

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
that pic has been on here a couple of times before, and IIRC it is actually a photochop...a very good photochop :)

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
its actually illegal to have a car painted with chrome effect such as the GTR above. Apparenly it acts like a mirror and the reflection would put off other drivers. My mate wanted to spray his car in the same effect but was told otherwise!

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
going for the Starwars look i guess :p dont like it, i bet the cops with laser guns love that, no need to pick special spots, like the plates, just aim anywhere haha :p

·
Registered
728 Posts
There was a post i think on here a while ago about 50 cent, he had a lambo painted in chrome too. Looked sh1t in my opinion but when you have that much money i suppose its just being different.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
going for the Starwars look i guess :p dont like it, i bet the cops with laser guns love that, no need to pick special spots, like the plates, just aim anywhere haha :p
Nah, it's a Klingon cloaking device surely - Starplod won't see it coming, just a piece of fast moving scenery :chuckle:

·
6,821 Posts
I have heard that there are several technics to spray a car in to chrome . . . I am not an expert, but have seen few and all looked dull with many matt zones in the paint job.
The Supra looks clean . . .has anyone sprayed with chrome-color?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I saw that supra at totbv as well. Had a rainbow effect laquer on it too but very subtle It did look ok but i think the point of chrome is to stand out from other bits i.e. have something to contrast again. I got a chromed coilpack cover and cam covers on my 33GTR but thats it wouldnt chrome the whole engine bay as it needs some darker areas to contrast against and draw attention to the engine, IMHO. But hey we are all human and different!

I head the same thing that it was illegal for road use due to dazzling other drivers.. probably even if it was dark LOL!. The paint isnt too expensive at £43 + vat per litre compared with some flip paints. ITs actaully rage chrome if anyone interested have a look at these links on the paint and how to prep it, which by the way is where the time and cost come in.

Rage Extreme Chrome

prepping info..

http://www.rage-extreme.com/datasheets/Rage Extreme Spray Chrome.PDF

1 - 20 of 32 Posts