GTR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
chroming engine parts
what are the cons !!!

will chrome fade , is it hard to take care, and in extreme heat condition, what will they effect the performance ???
i am planning to either gold plate or chrome some engine parts

thanks

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Alot of it comes down to the preperation work. I've had mine done for 2 years now and it still looks great. I can only speak for mine but it hasnt faded, it cleans with a quick wipe with a sponge, or even just a damp chammois, and as its only a coating on the outside, I cant see any reason it would have any affect on performance....its not a mechanical item.

I do however also have chrome items on my Calibra engine bay which has been off the road for quite some time lately and as a result, damp has caused the chrome to start flaking. After using the Skyline so regularly, it hasnt had a chance to start doing this but that again could be down to the quality of work - the Skyline stuff stuff was done at a different place and I paid more for it.

Here's a pic of my engine bay...I think you might be tempted :cool:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I agree however, providing it is a good job in the 1st place, chrome requires alot less after care. Bare polished metal will always require repolishing and will keep going dull over time.

·
Registered
818 Posts
My engine and ancillaires have been chromed,,, almost identical to phils. Again mine was good quality chroming, 3 stage processs something like copper then nickle then chrome (not sure of the actual metals) and it has lasted and still going strong 3 years later. Quick clean now and again with polish thats it. Polished stuff is ok to start with but weathers after a bit and cant get back to the shinyness of the chrome

Id go for chrome if you can afford it

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I had a few parts chromed on my engine and as the car stood unused for weeks at a time after 12 months it started to flake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts