GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically I want to chrome the turbo outlet pipe, the one which says "twin turbo" on it.

So has anyone done it themselves or can help me with some tips or procedures on how to do this.

Also anyone out there who is running M's air filter and pipes; have any of you guys chromed the inlet pipes.

They are similar if not the same as the ones supplied with Blitz induction kits.

Has anyone chromed those???

Cheers and thanking you in advance

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
You don't need to chrome it. Since its rough cased aluminium all you need to do is sand it down and then gradually polish it with finer and finer brushes.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Richard bell was oferring this item polished on exchange under the thread bits and bobs.

might save a little bit of elbow grease?

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Yes ....polishing pipes is a hard and painful business!:D

Just need an orbital sander and lots of patience! BTW the picture is of Canmans engine

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats exactly what I want to do. I.e. polish the air filter intakes and the trubo pipe.

Looks well smart. and yes guys that is what I meant "polish"

But how can I get rid of the rough fnish from the turbo pipe even before polishing it??

Cheers

·
Registered
171 Posts
Part way through doing all mine at the mo. Done the 'twin turbo' and filter pipes, they took about a night each. Just plucking up the willing to start the inlet plenum. How straight forward is this to rip off?

Billy

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you got any pics matey??

Also what tools have you used. And what air filter pipes have you got???

·
Registered
171 Posts
No pics as of yet mate, will post them when i take some. All I used was some 200 and 800 grade sand paper and a polishing kit from Demon Tweeks. Oh and a fair bit of elbow grease :D Only got a K&N filter kit.

Billy

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is the K&N filter kit with the M's black pipes??? Are you polishing those aswell??

How much was the polishing kit from Demon Tweeks??

Cheers

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Am I right in thinking that the turbo pipe is aluminium alloy so thus will not rust over time??

Can anyone confirm this??

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yep its the M's ones. Just taken the inlet plenum off tonight, spend tomorrow polishing it i think. I should have it all spangly and back together by the weekend so I'll try to get some pics done. Think the kit was about £30 which seems a lot for what you get but it works well. I would give you the part number but i cant find a coyp of the catalogue at the mo.

Cheers Billy

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Look harder for the part no!!!

Your not looking hard enough!!!

Let me know when you found it

Cheers

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ive polished a few plenims for mates on their RS turbos etc, and I started on a 400 wet & dry paper(depending on how scratched it is), then from 400 to 600 to 800 to 1000 then 1200, and if you want a super shiney finish 1500, but its not always necessary, but always sand with water.
If you go up in these steps, then it makes it easier to get the scratches out from the previous paper, skipping grade just leads to more and harder work.
Then using a buffing machine at about 3600rpm using a polishing paste called Farecla(prenounced 'frekla'), grade G3.
The use t-cut by hand to get a really good shine.

But thats just my opinion...

PS: all these materials are available from any car paint/body shop.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for your help mate

1 - 20 of 20 Posts