GTR Forum banner

Clarkson needs your help!

3K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  David.Yu 
#1 ·
Yup, our dearly beloved Honorary President is yet again featuring a GT-R in his annual video.

This year I have managed to finally get him and the Jun SuperLemon R together and I look forward to seeing the result!

Thing is, the producer has asked me to research the history behind the car and I wondered if any of you had the links to the appropriate sites.

E.g. does anyone know the actual times it produced to win the 0-300km/h challenges? I believe this car holds/did hold the world record for said time. Where's the evidence?

Help much appreciated, info needed by end of play tomorrow (Wednesday 12th June).

David Yu.

#3 ·
When's the video scheduled for release? You should get Garys R33 on there aswell, its a bit more real-world than a bright yellow lairy advert-on-wheels show car. The problem with using the Jun car is people will think it's totally one-off and has cost the world to develop.

Rob

#6 · (Edited)
Are you sure it held the 0-300kph record?

I have found the stats for the Super Lemon R II and if I am reading it properly it states a 0-300kp/h time of 21.91, but that's not that good when compared to the times on Mario's site.

Maybe I am reading it wrong or maybe it is not the SuperLemon2 that held the record but the SuperLemon1. Judge for yourself:

#8 ·
Just looking here: http://web.archive.org/web/20000424091543/www.junauto.co.jp/en/results/events/tas/index.html

and it appears that the Super Lemon R II was a street version, the top speed version was called the HYPER LEMON R III as Bothari said.

Does anyone know if the 0-300kph the times listed on Mario's site are for 'street' cars or are they specially tuned 0-300kph 'drag' cars?

FYI the specs of the RII can be seen here: http://web.archive.org/web/20001101201652/www.junauto.co.jp/en/results/events/tas/spec_slr2_en.html

#9 ·
This text is from the current JUN site:

JUN SUPER LEMON R II(BCNR33)
Due to the fact that the engine development of the RB26DETT had passed into the mature stage, we developed the TD06-25G with twin drag and a target of 0-300 m . At the time, with its more than 1000 horsepower, the GT-R attracted a lot of attention. This was the base vehicle for our 1997 Bonneville attack.

Are you sure it wasn't the 0-300 metres record that the SuperLemon held? Or is it just a translation error

#10 ·
0-300m

I doubt they bother to record 0-300m times, I reckon that's a typo on their site.

I'm sure I remember the car being touted at the time (97) as being an acceleration record holder.

But looking at Mario's site it sure has been overtaken since!

Anybody wanna email me Mario's email address, (couldn't find it on his site)?

#11 ·
If he is featuring it...from what I have heard it is no longer quite the beast it was....it would be nice to try to stick to current facts about it rather than historic facts.
As vennuth says why not try to get some real world cars instead?

Get Jeremy to come to Bedford autodrome on 21st and Santa Pod on 22nd for the BMW celebrations, he should see some real world Skylines covering a broad spectrum of tune.
This would not cost anything for him to set up it is already going to happen.:D

#12 ·
Pegleg and venmuth

I will mention the Bedford and Pod events to him.
As far as anyone knows, the Super Lemon R is in the same spec as it was in Japan when it was dynoed at "over 1000 ps", but as has been discussed to death the Japs use mad octane drag fuel when posting times and presumably on rolling roads.

One very interesting and valid point is that in the 3 years or so Dave Jones has owned the car, it has NEVER BLOWN UP!

And that is despite numerous thrashes at Crail (still posts 10s 1/4 mile times) and Knockhill.

It may be up for sale at a lot more than the average tuned R33, but it did have a LOT of money spent on developing and building it.

#14 ·
Jun Car

David,

The Jun car is not in the same spec as it was in Japan.

For a start, it no longer has the 6 speed (sequential??) gearbox but an ordinary R33 gearbox.

It will also be well down on power from its Japanese rating, due to the fuel.

I would expect several of the others cars in the Club to be very close in terms of Performance.

However, it has never been to any UK GTR event, so no-one knows.

Personally I'd love to run it against a few of the top cars around here, to see how much better it is, if at all.

Guy

#17 ·
Well as i said its probably about 600bhp then. Its not much good having loads of spare boost if your gearbox cant take it (well maybe it is because over-engineered means it lasts longer but hey, who cares as long as your going fast!)

I wasn't running it down or anything (ffs, i drive a Micra most the time!) I was just saying there may be better things out there to use.

Hope I havent offended anyone.

Rob

#18 ·
Me Neither!

I have a lot of respect for the motor also, and it is one of the cars i want mine to aspire to eventually!
But Dave Jones who owned the car was opeining scared of it and only bought it initially as a "TOY"!!Amongst his other motors in his large collection!!
I actually never kept track what happened to it?? As it was up for sale for £79,995 at a garage in Scotland as i have the printout on my board at work!!

Cheers

Stu

#19 ·
I emailed David earlier, but on a similar vein, i will be trying to get some of the Jap Tuner's cars to elvington for the top ten shootout, if not this year, then certainly for next, as it would be great to get the Uk best against the best from the east.

If anyone knows of contact details etc or can speak to someone direct, that would be helpful?

We have got the 500+bhp Evo coming that was recently featured in various mags, along with other tuners cars, but the skylines are so far all the known UK cars that Guy arranged.

As Guy stated, I'd expect the big power Uk cars to be more than a match for any others from around the globe.
rgds
chris m

#21 ·
Cheers Dino!

No news yet, but looking at the time it posted (21.91s) maybe I was mistaken about it winning.

I'm no expert, but I 'm sure it takes more than 600bhp to get a 1600-odd kg car to the 1/4 mile in 10.3s and to 100 in 6.93s.

Nobody else has yet to post times better than that here, although Santa Pod next week should be interesting!

#23 ·
Times!

Hi David,

The time's on the lemon from 200 are genuine as my R32 ran at the same event but not head to head!
I double checked this with Willie Robertson who owns the Crail complex!
I have video of Michael's 3.0 doing a 11.3 at the Pod with his sequential fitted!
I don't know of any GTR's that have run 10 second quarter's apart from the Lemon, what about first GTR in the 9's like Reece McGregor!!
Watch this space is all i am saying!!

Regards

Stu

#25 ·
Hmm

Clarkson?, Needs MY help?

Whats he done for ME lately?

Least he should do is feature a car that is true of the UK scene!

If he comes to North Weald or Santa Pod, I'll tell him!

Probably out road testing the new fiesta though, so wont make it to support the club he is honourary President of.;) :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.