GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for a clay bar kit? Was looking at the autoglym and the meguairs. Which one is better? Are there any other ones? Thanks.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys just read the reviews on the bilt hamber and looks like decent stuff. Which one would you go for? There seems to be a soft version and a regular version.

Also how do i pm a member on here I here without finding one of their posts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Can recommend the Meguiar's 'Quik Clay Starter Kit' - used it on my RX7, comes with everything needed (including quik detailer which is handy even after the claying) and a single bar easily did the whole car. I think it's around £20.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Bilt hamber is what I use i tend to clean the car do the chemical Decontamination then snow foam the car again and so the clay using the foam as a lubricant then onto the polishing stages

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,531 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for all the comments which are helpful. This is my first time using a clay bar, an I better of flowing for the soft version or the regular version?

Also, I was planning to use autoglym ultra deep shine afterwards. Is that decent? My car is grey. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I've found Meguiars to be the best...Bilt Hamber left streaks on mine, then when I asked a detailer he said to move to meguiars... no complaints now!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great, now you tell me! The bilt hamber arrived yesterday! May try it on my other ace first!

Is it recommended to use clay bar on areas which are already smooth or just rough areas? I only have a couple of rough areas.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
bilt hamber is a rated brand so it should be good. And you chose the right one (soft) as the GT-R paint is (unacceptably) delicate and you shouldn't have that much contamination as to warrant the medium or hard (I would imagine the hard could leave swirls?).

I also find the valet pro soft and super soft clays great value and do the job nicely.

Similar to Geof I also tend to just use dilute shampoo with a bit of citrus pre cleaner thrown in to help wax stripping.

I only clay once or twice a year as part of a bigger deep clean and protect.

Only use a 1/4 or 1/3rd of the clay at a time. When you drop it on the floor, throw it in the bin and start a new piece

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Bilt Hamber is fine, I've used it for years, if it leaves streaks it because your not using enough lubricant (water) That's the beauty of Bilt Hamber, you don't have to use detailing spray and waste your money.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Only use a 1/4 or 1/3rd of the clay at a time. When you drop it on the floor, throw it in the bin and start a new piece
Good advice, because it will likely happen!

As we're on a clay bar discussion, I used to have a white STI that I clayed regulalry but moved on to using an iron fallout remover. Being white, you wouldn't belived the ammount of 'bleed out' that happens with this stuff!!

After using the remover the car had that perfect smooth feel and going over it with a clay after there wasn't much for the clay to remove.

Not saying a fallout cleaner will remove all that a clay does, but I did find very little advantage in claying after that. Although a clay does have other characteristics you might be looking for.

I would guess there are contaminants a clay bar will get that a remover won't, but I struggled to find any. But if you're purely after cleaning power, I'd go with the fallout remover first.

Given the time to clay versus using a spray on/wash off product it might be worth thinking about?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys. I have my car booked in with nissan next week to sort out the paint bubbling under the mirrors. So I will use the clay bar in due course.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts