GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just want to know what products others are using to clean up muck and generally shining up their engine bays?

A friend uses Mr Sheen on his Silvia - although I'm not too keen on the idea! :runaway:

Thanks,
AD

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
any type of engine degreaser or simple green and CD2 engine detailer
spray, some do not like the shiny wet look but i think it looks good.
Also a lot of people hate the idea of putting H2O in the engine bay.
I have yet run into a problem with any of my methods, take your
time and do it right.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
wd40 or a simple bit of engine degreaser but I then give the main parts a light rinse over with a touch of warm water and right after that use paper towel or something to dry it off before it smears or drys funny. seems to work for me but I've only cleaned my bay twice since getting the car really :)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
There is a awesome thread on the SXOC on this... I have done it on my engine bay and it works a treat and looks good as new...

1) squirt wd40/other water repelant on major electrics and bag with carrier bags (Fuse box, CAS, Alarm Siren, Boost Controller valve etc) AND also bag the Unduction Kit(s) but dont squirt with WD40!

2) Spray all engine bay with engine degresant (I use Autoglym Engine and machine degresant) and in very dirty areas use a cheepo paintbrush to agitate and spray more of the degresant (Dont be shy with it)

3) Rinse off with hose with no attachment with a decent stream of water but not a jet. Try and keep away from the electrics.

4) Unbag electrics and unduction kit and run the car for 15-20 mins with the bonnet closed.

5) Spray (Important) Autoglym Tyre dressing all over the engine bay. Get it everywhere, i mean everywhere(Well apart from induction kit and manifold), cables, hoses, electrics, bodywork, pipes, plastic trim etc. It comes out a milky substance so you can see where it is and dont worry about it gathering in places.

6) Close bonnet and leave for 1 Hour.

7) Open bonnet, stand back and admire your work. Wipe up anywhere that the milky substance (ooh-err i mean from the Tyre dressing)

Mine S14a After a good clean... ;)

I cant take all the credit... I did the work but the guidence came from Mr OCD on the SXOC.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
For a while after its fine but then it starts to gather dust. I tend just go for a little drive then wipe away where the dust had gathered and reapply the tyre dressing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts