GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very nearly crashed today, which is never a good thing. I think the lesson I have learnt is that a Skyline is nothing like an Astra when it comes to acceleration, and turbo lag (when it catches up) in the wet is a very scary thing indeed. :)

A little background...

On the way driving home I came across a car doing about 30mph in a 40 on a slight bend. As I pulled out to overtake I put my foot down in 3rd instinctively, when the turbo caught up with me it threw the back end of the car sideways and I ended up getting into an endless correcting battle with the car (back swings one way, you steer the opposite way). Obviously the correct way is to steer into it but I didn't have this luxury what with there being a car directly opposite me. :(

In the end I managed (or the car did, or both) to end up in a straight line again with no damage done except to my heart and mental health.

I guess the moral of the story is I should probably take the car to a track or disused airfield to get a proper feel for it before I have any more surprises! :confused:

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Durzel
I believe its good for the heart for it to get a workout every now and again. But to be safe don,t do it toooooooooooooooo often.
At least you brought a car that will help you in times of indecision.
Best regards Alan :D

·
Registered
506 Posts
Scary...

Durzel i did a 180* on the dual cairrageway section of the A41 last year and I only had 240bhp then:eek: . so i know exactly how it feels...

...i keep a spare pair of undies in the car now just in case:D (Ohh and they also come in useful when i go out on the track with Wroestar:D )

·
Registered
506 Posts
Sorry Jon

Not sure the bit in brackets came out how I intended!!!:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL stu :D

The funny thing is, since Ive been driving an Astra GTE for the past 2 1/2 years I'm totally used to understeer and driving a FWD car. In fact thinking about it last Christmas about this same time I had all kinds of fun in my Astra by sliding around roundabouts (when they were clear obviously :))

Having a car kick out from behind me is an entirely foreign concept and I wasn't at all prepared for how to deal with it. Still, at least I know that it's something to be wary of now! :smokin:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
OK...

Durz.
Glad to hear you are ok.
I had an encounter with some black ice 2 weeks ago in the (ex) GTR at about 40 MPH in a STRAIGHT LINE and had no chance...
snap to the right and all over. Rolled down an embankment 3 times and ended up 25 ft down in a ditch. Car is mullered!!
Lucky to still be here and there is another GTR out there for me. It is only abit of metal after all (much as it hurts to say it)
As guy says, get it in a sraight line unless you have lots of room.
It is just not worth it on these greasy roads. Keeps you awake though!!
Nick

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ouch sorry to hear that. :(

Still, as you say it is only metal at the end of the day, far more important is your physical health and well being. Glad to hear you walked away ok.

·
Registered
961 Posts
x-f50

lol
and another one bites the dust

·
Registered
322 Posts
It happens 2quick

Not only can you die but it cost me .... the car didn't have a good panel after a 720 ish i only realised we were up side down when i let go the seat belt & all i did was let someone drive the car home. if you think abbout buying a soft top look at the roof .........

wes

Attachments

·
Registered
961 Posts
western

what happened there then!!

gus,

·
Registered
322 Posts
I used 2work in Smithfield early start drove 2Oxford, some tart wanted me ... I never play hard 2get (don't need 2explane) when I came out of the pub, my xfriend told me he was in a better condition 2 drive..............

Just because he crashed, demolishing 40~50 foot of wall and it turned out he was banned from driving and was over the limit, (me too probably) my insurance refused to pay and the RAC sent the car to a storeage company that charged a small fortune each day.

But you learn, next tart I see etc..etc..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts