GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe I've never read a post about this, maybe I missed it or no-ones ever had the 'trouble' I had.
Running a Exedy copper-paddle clutch-plate with I think it is a 50% uprated cover, nothing badly wrong (I have lived with it for months now) but I noticed that it would take pressing the pedal to the floor to disengage, but the biting point on the way up was about 1/2 way.
Fitting a Conceptua braided line and removing all the other 'crap' made this slightly worse...
It turns out the bulkhead was flexing, I have taken out the pedal assembly and welded extra brackets on to it, and the fault is 'cured'.
So.... is this common but a trade-secret, is it because mine was an automatic and the bulkhead on a manual is re-enforced, or no-one else ever had this, or noticed it?
What do you all think?
And do me a favour, if I just answered a question that was bothering you for ages please don't go off and do yours and say nothing, I'd like some feedback.
Regards,
Andrew.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Intersting question about the auto, look forward to some answers!
:)
bob

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know why the lack of response, GTR's have a servo on the clutch making the pedal lighter....
So this is a GTS-T thing only - unless you removed the servo.
As an update to make things 'perfect' I have in the engine bay side made a 'clutch-stopper' to stop more bulkhead flex, now it is spot-on.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
i had this on my R34 when i did a manual conversion, as i couldnt see where to secur the top part of the pedal

the a mate with a 200sx showed me theres a little secret Bolt fitting behind some sound proofing and pedal worked fine after that no flex at all

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
The pedal brackets themselves are prone to cracking - Nismo upgraded ones are essentially just seam welded and plated. I've also seen a clutch servo can split.
A lot of force required from the left leg in these cars!!!

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
@Lightspeed; It seems you've never driven a Lamborghini LM002 then!

To press and hold that clutchpedal you need both feet and there's a lot less room under there then there is in a GTR, I kid you not!
It gives you muslepain in an instant and you can't hold the clutch in for more then 10sec or your foot will fall off :chuckle:

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Never had the displeasure of a Lambo land rover. Closest would be an army Hummer and they had the sense to make that an auto.

My old OS Giken triple with a leaky servo was pretty tough - made my old knee joint hurt pretty quick. Anything that needs 2 feet on the clutch pedal just isn't right.

I have this weird Nissan Prince Twin Mode Clutch System in the latest car which (if I get it working) does the clutch at the press of a button.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little update from me,
My master cylinder is an oe gts-t one, it mounts on 2 diagonal bolts only, but what makes it bad is that there is an oem 'spacer' of about 12mm depth that moves the bulk of the mounting surface of the master away from the bulkhead - for correct pedal position I guess?
Anyway I added a metal 12mm box-section aout 80mm long at the botton of the assembly (no room anywhere else)so as to give a firm leverage point against the bulkhead... and it was much improved...
Since then I have added a 'clutch-stopper' that links the top mounting bolt of the clutch master (under hood side) to the r/h monting bolt of the brake-servo, which in turn also has a 'brake-stopper' to the inner wing.
The difference in how the clutch opperates now is the difference in day and night!
To be fair I think the 'clutch-stopper' would be enough of an improvement on it's own.
What surprises me is that no-one manufactures these, and I've NEVER in 7+ years of Skyline ownership heard anyone mention this before, my car is now a pleasure to drive.
Such a HUGE change for so little, I hope others try this and I get some good feedback on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts