GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I spent a few minutes after work making this video: -

https://vid.me/SsST (very prominent)
https://vid.me/TXKc (pulling off a little more quickly)

It's reproducing an issue that I'm having with my car right now which sounds horrible.

Basically, whenever I pull away in first, it usually (more so when pulling away very very gently), makes that horrible scraping sound. That's a particularly bad sounding one as I attempted about 20 times to get the worst sound one that it makes and tried to prolong it.

The clutch is a triple plate clutch greddy and has no problem holding a lot of power, as you would imagine a clutch like this could, and can launch without problems just fine. I hardly ever launch it but I did a few lately just to test for any issues and it was fine.

I spoke to the guys at MGT (fantastic guys) and I was told that it was probably just an unsprung clutch and that the sound was not a problem, as long as I could put up with how horrible it sounds. I'm beginning to think it's a bit more than that though and possibly a throw out bearing? The clutch behaves like most triple plates and makes the funny rattling sound when the pedal is pressed in.. that's cool, I actually like that noise. I think it's getting worse though and I need to take it somewhere but I would love to know what you guys think!

·
Registered
365 Posts
mmm..... my money's on release bearing .

Lee.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Does it make a noise when you are off the clutch which goes away when the clutch is depressed? If so it will be the release bearing. From the video it doesn't sound like the release bearing to me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No noise when the clutch is off and just the rattling plates when the clutch is depressed

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that a new clutch job? It's a pretty expensive triple plate.

Would I not see any other symptoms? It really does hold power extremely well; no issues at all outside of pulling off in first gear.

Could it just be that it's unsprung like MGT say? Apparently a good hard launch would reduce the sound.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Might be worth a 7k sidestep, sounds like it's chattering due to something not being flat, exacerbated by being unsprung.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha, I'm pretty sure I'd die if I tried that!

It's a bit weird really, the noise just sounds so horrible.. like scraping. I'd even started thinking perhaps there was some dirt stuck between the plates or something.

·
Registered
213 Posts
In the words of Mrs Doyle, go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on etc

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have never heard an unsprung clutch sound like that, if the problem is getting worse i would get the clutch inspected to prevent a possible faliure.

Is that a new clutch job? It's a pretty expensive triple plate.

Would I not see any other symptoms? It really does hold power extremely well; no issues at all outside of pulling off in first gear.

Could it just be that it's unsprung like MGT say? Apparently a good hard launch would reduce the sound.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Doesn't seem right even if it's unsprung. It's a gearbox out job really to see what's going on or what the damage is. 3-4 hours labour I would imagine.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn, I hope the clutch isn't knackered.. it's just so weird that it drives perfectly fine except for pulling off in first. If you're already moving, it's fine, no noise!

I can't see how that can happen if there's something caught or scraping.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Damn, I hope the clutch isn't knackered.. it's just so weird that it drives perfectly fine except for pulling off in first. If you're already moving, it's fine, no noise!

I can't see how that can happen if there's something caught or scraping.
I am sure it will be obvious to see once the gearbox is off. To take the gearbox off, inspect clutch and put everything back together would take me about 5-6 hours of labour.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would guess there could be a problem with the gearbox/diff that would be causing this potentially if not the clutch?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's almost certainly going to be difficult for me! I was hoping someone would be like, "Oh, I had that, it was a dodgy bearing". Alas, I'll probably have to pay someone to look as I don't have my own ramp etc.

It's definitely coming from, what feels like the left side of the car at the front.

·
Registered
567 Posts
You want to here my OS Giken R3C if you think that's bad!.

Might be worth bedding it in a bit, the tripples don't like daily driving.

Is the noise there ONLY while you're slipping the clutch?.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi keith, sorry, been at work all day.

It is definitely only when slipping the clutch; if I pull off quite quickly, i.e. 2.5k rpm and drop the clutch with rev balancing, it's beautiful; holds power fantastically well.

Could you explain what you mean by bedding it in a bit?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts