GTR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning All
You know when you get the moments whilst driving when you hear a new noise and the heart stops for a second..... Going home last night giving it a little noticed that the OS Giken twin plate clutch slipped very slightly.

So three questions.
Where do I go in the Northants area to have this replaced, a garage who have worked on GTR's (I have new plates already spares came with the car).

Secondly... just how difficult is this job to do yourself bearing in mind it will be on a driveway on axle stands.

Finally.. Would this be a pull or push type clutch.

Thanks as always for any guidance.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
All the Giken clutches are push, you would be better off finding a friendly garage that would let you use their ramp as the box is really heavy. It can be done on the floor but it isn't a nice job at all.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Bryan,
I use 'OK DIY' in milton keynes......it's a charity funded garage which are a non-profit making place. On saturday's you can hire the lifts at £10 an hour!
You have to bring your own tools, but they have real useful things like a transmission jack and tyre changing facilities you can use!
I changed the gearbox on a 350z there in a few hours and so changing a clutch there you should be looking max 5 hours.
They even do MOT's too at the standard price, perfect if you want to do the rework yourself!

It's not a tricky job, just heavy, so a lift and trans jack make it easy!

Ian

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both gents, Ian I'll look up "ok diy" Up too a week ago I had the use of the ramps here at work, but H&S have decided its not to their rule book.... Insurance or something. If its a straight forward push type clutch I cant believe it would be that hard.
Is there anything trick to look out for as far as box removal / setup. Or simply starter off, mark / remove propshafts, bellhousing and mount bolts?

Thanks again
Bryan

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The front prop bolts can be tight, also you can use the front prop to aid aligning the splines when refitting the clutch.

You do not need to drop the oil on the GTR as the main prop is a bolt on flange rather than a spline(the transfer box fluid may spill from the gearstick hole so either drain first or bung).
When removing/refitting the box you need to twist it about 90 degrees to allow it to drop out of the tunnel.
The 2 top bellhousing bolts can be reached by dropping the rear gearbox mount off and lowering the box on a jack (be careful as the rear of the engine comes close to the bulkhead) then you will need about 4 extensions to reach the bellhousing bolts.
Starter/bellhousing bolts is particularly fun :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the tips ....... it doesn't seem that daunting. I've done a few clutches on similar size cars with no problems... The starter yep been there a few months back, surgery to remove a thumb helped.
Thanks again
Bryan

·
Registered
96 Posts
ahapartridge said:
All the Giken clutches are push, you would be better off finding a friendly garage that would let you use their ramp as the box is really heavy. It can be done on the floor but it isn't a nice job at all.
I have just had an OS Giken twin plate clutch fitted to my GTR 33 "v"spec and i can asure you they are not all push type. In fact they are supplied as a pull type and you need to get a conversion kit (for a BCNR33) But if you all ready have one fitted you will have the conversion kit.

RB Motorsport reckon on about 5 to 6 hrs to fit a new OS Giken clutch.
(they do it every other day) Its not so much the clutch as all associated parts.

cam.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Incorrect, they are all push, your car was originally PULL so had to have the conversion arm.

5-6 hours, ok, I will have to slow down a bit then :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
ahapartridge said:
Incorrect, they are all push, your car was originally PULL so had to have the conversion arm.

5-6 hours, ok, I will have to slow down a bit then :D

eeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr i'll get me coat:sadwavey:

I was told that R32's were pull and R33's were push, sorry mate.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Some R32`s are pull :) But all OS clutches are push and if you have a pull type box thats when you need the converter.

We charge 4 hours to change a GTR Clutch.

Richard

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Whats all this about pull or push clutches?
What is standard to a R33 GTR, pull or push? Sorry to seem dim but i am fairly new to the skylines and have to change my clutch soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts