GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started to experience slippage with my (I presume) stock clutch and I've heard all sorts of ways to fix it.

The obvious is to buy a new one, but I've also heard reconditioning mentioned.

Would appreciate advice on this.

I'm not running a lot of power, just a little above standard so I don't need anything too flashy!

Cheers

:smokin:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
It sounds as though you are just experiencing wear. I would see if they supply a clutch kit for it. Rather than going on to upgrade and spending more.

It would depend on the power your are currently running and also any further mods/BHP increases planned for the future.

I had a twin plate OS Geiken which was a sweet clutch but since my new better engine and turbos it began to slip. Thus only good for 400 BHP and no point in buying the clutch pack. I upgraded instead to the Single plate Nismo which can take alot more power and has a lightened fly wheel, I'm more a track day bloke than a Santa pod 1/4mile chap!!

Unfortunately I have just sold the Geiken twin (which would have suited!) but if you're interested to buy my old stock 97 clutch, it was up for £100 (in For Sale) but im open to offers.

PM for a deal if your interested.

After all that does a GTR clutch fit???

...Ian

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it'll fit on my car then I'll definitely need it. Do you know how many miles its done - was it fine when you took it out?

:smokin:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Ian, how high is the bitting point on your clutch? I have a single plate Nismo and the bitting point is right at the top of the clutch - which makes it quite difficult to drive in traffic. Do you know if the bitting point can be easily adjusted?

thanks

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Nismo clutch...

Biting point is actually mid pedal and pretty good a bit more snappy (on/off) than the Geiken twin I previously had though.

Its new so I am experiencing the smell of burn't Garlic Bread and cabbages when doing pin point maneouvres and hill starts (Im told that the smell soon goes away). Did the trick on my last visit to Dono so Im very happy.

...Ian

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hi Ian,

I have the Nismo single in my car, I was told it is only good for about 450bhp. Seems a bit wierd that a twin plate can't handle as much as the single..

the bite point will become less snappy and after a few thousand miles feels almost like a std item. (or you get so used to it you can drive it like a std clutch.)

M1ac, get a new plate for your clutch, if the fingers were gone the bite point would effectively be right at the bottom.

Or of course take Ian up. things like clutches do wear out and with nigh on 300 bhp there is no such thing as a gutless skyline...

the thing I have noticed since changing the clutch is the way you can spin the wheels going into thrid gear at about 70mph !! excellent fun.

/Steve

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
BHP...

Steve I am hoping to get near the 480 BHP+ mark soon (after i've bought a new house paid for a hoilday blah blah!) So im sure the clutch I have from Nismo is good for more than the 450 bhp.

I have the same one as Weka with the lightened fly wheel!

..IS

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hi Ian,

Did you look at the plate before it was fitted ?

did it have 3 lobes on it rather than being a solid circle like the std part ?

I didn't bother with the flywheel and left it as std for the time being.

cheers
Steve

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Confirmation

Steve I have just had a mumble and it good for and been used for up to 600 BHP!! :D

Didsn't see it but the car is near on 440 BHP at the moment with certainly no slippage!

..Ian

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Mine hasn't ever slipped yet, 600 bhp, excellent news.

My car made 415 on the dyno so there is some tolerence there yet !!:D :D

/Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts