GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone,

need some advise on aftermarket clutches:

current clutch - nismo single plate - very comfortable to drive but didn't last too long.....4 months?????

1. shud i go for twin plate?
2. any good twin plates? (comfortable, durable & grippy)
3. are all twin plates come with "long long" sound when u step down the clutch? (very annoying)

tks.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Twin plate clutch

You did not say how powerful your car is. My r32 came with a twin plate already fitted so I don't know what make it is. The clutch was fitted to allow it to run up to 450bhp but I try to keep it at 350ish.
I was nearly put off when test driving the car but I have got used to it now, but still stall it now and again. I quite like the ringing sound the clutch makes when engaged. I miss being able to slip the clutch and it gets hot quickly (I don't depress the pedal until the traffic lights start to change) but, if this means that the clutch lasts longer then I can live with the down points. It sounds like the best thing for you if your last one went that quickly.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
clutch

my R33 is over 400 bhp and i have a nismo cover and
std centre plate very good normal driving and even when
i drop the clutch no slip what so ever got it from mark at abbey
motor sport he said it was good for 450 bhp

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TKS. DAVE & KEITH,

MY CAR IS CURRENTLY RUNNING AT 1.0 BAR W/O ANY BOOST CONTROLLER NOR MODIFIED ECU.

INSTALLED : APEX SUPER INTAKE, ARC INTERCOOLER WITH PIPING KIT, ARC TITANIUM FULL EXHAUST + DOWNPIPE, NO CAT, BLOW OFF VALVE, HKS OIL COOLER, NISMO SINGLE PLATE CLUTCH W/ STOCK FLYWHEEL

WHEELS - AVS MODEL 5 WITH ADVAN TNR045 - 265/35/18

AS PER MY BLITZ POWER METER ID, LAST 0-400 TIME IS 12.6s.

I MUST DECIDE ON WHICH CLUTCH I'M GETTING COZ DELIVERY TIME USUALLY TAKES 1 MONTH.

MICHAEL

·
Registered
547 Posts
Nismo clutch

Interesting, I doubt your car is making >400 bhp, so the Nismo clutch should have lasted a lot longer than 4 months!!

You must be doing a lot of standing starts drag race style ;)

If that's the case, you'll need a much more heavy duty item ... twin, or even triple plate, to take the punishment... and you'll learn to love the jangling noise.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nismo clutch

hello joss,

honestly, i've only try those standing starts a few times....

are there any good clutches that don't make those sounds?

michael.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Noisy clutches

I presume the sound is common to this type of clutch.
Would any techie like to explain the difference in the working of the normal and twin\triple plate clutches, what causes the ringing sound, why they don't slip and hence why the don't wear out quick?

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Clutch

Just had a cusco metal single plate installed.
Much better than the standard old thing i had before but still getting used to it.
It is a bit sharp on the uptake and a little bit noisy when in reverse but apart from that in my 2 weeks of ownship i have had no probs. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'll probably go for a heavy duty single plate clutch.
shud i get a lightweight flywheel as well?

any recommendations?

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Flywheel

I asked about my flywheel as well and I was told that it depends on several things :- state of the flywheel to start with and BHP to transfer through it.
I am only going to around the 400 mark and my flywheel was in good condition so did not have any work actioned on it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi everyone, my 33 has 375 horses at the rear wheels. I ocassionally do standing starts at about 7000rpm. Go to the track at least once a month. Had OS Giken twin plate which came with their own lightened flywheel. A bit harder than stock clutch but performs really well in transfering the power. Could be a bit tiring in long traffic jams but otherwise they are superb. The ringing sound? Well it's there and I suppose you cannot run away from that sound if you want twin or tripple plate.

·
Registered
176 Posts
97 GTR Vspec

Interesting things to note about GTR clutches:

The last model R32's (like the Vspec2) used a pull type (instead of a push type) clutch assembly. These are identical to the R33 and R34 clutch, so even though some places sell them with different model numbers and prices, they are identical.

Don't cut corners. Don't lighten flywheels. I have had a clutch blow up (in the R34) at 5000rpm and it almost ripped through the bell housing. At 8000rpm I shudder to think what could/would have happened to my legs and feet.

The R34 uses a Getrag box (ala the Supra) so it also has a dampened flywheel assembly. This means you can use a multiplate (or even metallic pucked) type clutch and it is far easier to live with day to day. R32 and R33 do not.

If you've got a bitch of a clutch assembly with a massive pressure plate, your left foot with know all about it and you'll be explaining to people in the street why your left thigh is twice the size of the right one. ;)

Mario.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Clutch

What is a metallic pucked clutch?

Also, you can always make the heaviest clutch lighter with a different hydraulic setup :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts