GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm after a bit of advice regarding clutches and sequential gearboxes. There seems to be many more guys in Europe using the OS88 than what there is in Australia so I thought i'd ask here.

I'm about to order an OS Giken OS-88 and i'm a bit stuck on the clutch choice. My original plan was to run my Nismo coppermix but I have just noticed that the OS88 is a push type arrangement only. My clutch is a pull so that rules that out. The R3C is always an option but I wanted to avoid that do to it being a solid centre. I wanted the clutch to be sprung as it has that little bit of give in the driveline. Is there any issues with using a sprung centre on a sequential gearbox?

Cheers

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I can't answer your question.....but if you don't mind me asking what you are paying for the OS88, and being that you are in Aussie why you aren't going for a Holinger?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holinger is a lot more expensive than the os88.

I'm paying $13,300 AUS for the option 2 ratios, crossmember which is delivered.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Holinger is a lot more expensive than the os88.

I'm paying $13,300 AUS for the option 2 ratios, crossmember which is delivered.
Fair enough, I will be interested to see how you go with road use with it, and kms between rebuilds as I still want a Seq box at some stage......pity the Holinger is so spendy as it is still the strongest out there

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There has been a few threads on here and some guys were on the os88's side for strength.

I've been in an r34 GTR with a os88 in it. It defiantly isn't as agricultural as what you'd think.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
There has been a few threads on here and some guys were on the os88's side for strength.

I've been in an r34 GTR with a os88 in it. It defiantly isn't as agricultural as what you'd think.
Yeah, I've tried to read everything on them, there are only a couple of brands with helical cut gears, the OS88 and the Holinger a two of them.....does make them a little more road car friendly, but I do keep seeing the OS box needing rebuilds for the dogs more than most, but in fairness most people are not using them in road cars.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Used an R3C clutch with my OS88 sequential as a daily driver for years without issue, found it easy to use and also reliable doing drag strip launches with ~950 BHP

·
Registered
887 Posts
i bought an r4c for my os88 which is a road car with the fun day out at santa now and then., hopefully ill get use to it :)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Albins, although it's an amazing box, it's straight cut. My car still is a road car with full interior. I don't want to hand my mrs a set of ear plugs if we want to go for a drive down the coast.

Hugh, your setup and reliability seems to stand out here. I think you said you have only pulled it down once which was 2009. Is that correct?

The holinger. There have been a few guys over here with less than fantastic reliability history with them.

Looks like I'll just run the R3C. Keep it all OS.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I'm glad to hear that there are people running them for a few years of road use without needing servicing, It was the second thing keeping me from buying one.....first being the budget :) keep us informed with how it all goes Piggaz!

Are you going to WTAC in Sydney this weekend?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not this year mate. I can't get away from work. I did however catch up with Dan (lithium) on Saturday night.

·
Following EJH#25
6,837 Posts
Here's an old video of mine on the road, straight cut Holinger sequential GTR 6 speed gearbox, OSG quad plate clutch, Shiftec air shift and works bell quick release boss with works bell paddleshift adapter.

I'm using the clutch on most of the downshifts even though you don't have to on this particular video as this was the day before the gearbox final mapping. I do have a video of fully clutchless shifting but I can't post it here.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers Matty! I was going to flick you a PM.

There is a common theme here. Everyone that runs a sequential box, runs a solid centre clutch. What's the reason?

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I'm not this year mate. I can't get away from work. I did however catch up with Dan (lithium) on Saturday night.
Pity, it looks like there will be some interesting toys there this year.
Yeah, I'll catch up with Dan and a few others there

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Hey Piggaz, any updates on this? When is it due to go in or are you still waiting for it to arrive?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still waiting for an account to send the cash to. Either way it will be 2-3 months for OS to build it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts