GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets talk Clutches;) ;)

There are many on the market, which one do you use??

I have a Nismo Basket clutch

Jamie.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
I use the standard clutch for now. There are loads on the market and I think one of the chepest ways to upgrade clutch performance is by fitting the AP disc. Peter seems to be very happy with it.
Apart from the better know ones out there like Nismo and HKS, there is another Japanese company called Ogura Clutches (ORC). They are pretty well know over here and make some serious kits and the prices are very reasonable. Other more exotic ones like the Mine's carbon clutch tend to be pretty damn expensive but offer the same performance as a multy plate one at half the weight and are supposed to be very durable.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Clutches ey!

I have an OS GEIKEN twin plate clutch on my 33. It came with it on and the original in a box. I have never driven a Skyline with a standard clutch so I can't comment on the difference but it is very smooth indeed also makes a sort of hissing sound when pressed (the norm apparently).

·
Registered
312 Posts
I also have an O.S Giken triple plate item in my motor, and found it very easy to use for such a BIG set-up..
As per Ian this was already in the car when i bought it, and assume it was put in as part of the tuning package!!
I did have to purchase a new plate for it early this year which was roughly £250 from memory!!

Cheers

Stu

·
Banned
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think this is an interesting area as most people only have 1 to 3 clutches in their car throughout ownership, so we only have experiance of certain clutches. So, if they work well people will generally stick with what they know.

I'm having a Nismo Basket clutch fitted to my car at the moment - I'll report back when I get some more experiance with it.

Jamie.

·
Banned
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't really know!!!:)

Something to do with the way it engages I think.

Bruce explained it to me once but I've forgotten:D :D

Bruce, would you post an explanation?

Jamie.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Getting to grips with clutches

Jamie,

I’ve just had an AP racing organic clutch fitted recently, I’m very happy with it so far.

The advice I was given at the time was that the OS Giken is a better clutch for cars running up to and around 450bhp but the AP racing is better value for money for cars up to and around 400bhp.

Since I’ve no plans in the near future to tune my current R33 GT-R above 400bhp I choose AP racing.

I think in your choose of clutch should consider how much power have now and how far you intend to tune your car in the future.

Paul.

·
Banned
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Organic! Basket!

This post sounds like a Sainsbury's ad!

Does Organic mean you can eat the clutch when its worn out?:D :D

Thanks for the replys guys.

Jamie.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'm running a standard clutch, but have tried a car with a Nismo clutch. The travel was much much shorter. Does anyone know what sort of power is safe for a standard clutch?

·
Banned
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anything up to about 420bhp is ok for the standard clutch - but, it will wear out much quicker.

Most people just upgrade the clutch when the standard one starts slipping unless you are going over 450 plus immediately. My standard clutch started to slip 1500 miles into a 400bhp conversion, hence the new Nismo clutch.

Jamie.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Standard clutch

I had a standard clutch and at 421bhp, it just wore out and span nastily and smelt even worse :D

Abbey fitted a standard/Nismo hybrid, which is just as easy on the legs (to be honest I can't really tell that it's different) but it does not slip at all. As I drive the R34 every day, I like this a lot :)

My old R32 had a twin plate racing clutch of some description, it had way shorter travel and was very abrupt (but you get used to it) but it felt really immediate as you shifted up the gears at max throttle... So you pays ya money.

Cheers

·
Registered
285 Posts
My standard clutch is almost ready for renewing after covering 42,000 miles (33,000 with 400bhp).

My R33 has been my daily drive for nearly 4 and a half years, mostly 'A' roads and traffic, so I think it's done pretty well.

DCD
Thanks for all the pictures, much appreciated.

Chris

ps: V5 SKY reg for sale, offers please

·
Registered
275 Posts
i'm getting a hks twin plate clutch fitted on monday. anyone got any experience of these?
i'm a little worried about driveability with one of these clutches, i use my car daily to and from work.
are they easy to get used to?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts