GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're after a new clutch then you can do a lot worse than the AP stuff.

I had a Nismo Organic clutch in my car for a year and a half and have just had it changed for an AP Organic clutch (the nismo was warn down to the rivets).

The Nismo was _VERY_ heavy and creaked and clicked significantly. When it got hot it became ridiculously difficult to shift gears. The new AP is much nicer...very light pedal feel, very positive, nice short "bite point" range and overall a very nice clutch.

So, if you're looking for a replacement, give the AP a thought.

Cheers
Daz

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
AP

Daz,

I was under the impression that the AP clutch on the GTi-R was only good for around 300hp, and would struggle over this. I take it this is wrong then?

PS, what are your thoughts on the strength of the rest of the gearbox.

Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked the question of what it should be able to take before i got it (because we were thinking of the HKS one).

Was told it will handle upto 400bhp so i was more than happy with that. Am planning to get more power next year (this was known before i got the clutch too), so i reckon it'll be fine.

I also believe that Caleb of the GTI-R OC has been running an AP Organic for rather a long time now (15,000+ miles of that since his Norris rebuild at 342 bhp), don't think he's had any trouble.

As for the gearbox, they are renowned weak spots. I haven't had a rebuild of mine yet, but have got serious trouble getting into reverse when i've been driving hard for an amount of time and generated alot of heat. I had hoped this was a problem with the old clutch suffering from clutch drag, but on arrival home from Abbey yesterday i still had trouble getting in reverse. So it looks like i'll be booking it in to have that done at some point (things always go wrong when i've got cash aside for new mods :( !)

Still when it's going well, it's GREAT fun :D

Cheers
Daz

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...Just as a continuation.....

I just checked Calebs website and he's been running the AP Organic for over 22,000 miles now (nearly 2 years of which have been at 342 bhp).

Hope this info is of help.
Cheers,
Daz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts