GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What 'safety' mods have you done?

eg brakes, gearbox.

I ask because the work John is doing is, pushing me closer and closer to the 'dark side' but i'm still a risk averse person (or tight b*stard if you like), and so would like to make sure i'm covered in terms of most likely failure points in the car. Is there anything you would recommend upgrading?

No mention of the 'W' word as we all know the caveat :)

Thanks in advance and hope this thread is of use to others.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
On mine it is completely stock with a flash. I do not track it and it only does 3000 miles in 6 months between services, the fluids don't get over 90C often. So it is likely to have an easier time than many stock cars since the boost is sensible and I'm mechanically sympathetic.

Like you my main fear is problems related to Nissan weaknesses rather than tuning related failures at this level. That is a calculated risk of course.

I suspect my biggest risk is an SPxx.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
I've upgraded my brakes to PF discs and PF .01 pads all round but only for better track use, not because of the COBB.

At the level of tune I'm running, I'm happy with everything remaining stock for now, save for the GTC zorst of course.

There are lots of US and EDM cars running y-pipe or full zorsts with remaps from COBB. Little or no reports of any issues across these cars at this lower end of tune.

Certainly an idea to strengthen certain parts of the tranny if you go for full decatted dps and above IMHO.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys. Just the men i was hoping to answer too ;)

John you're running Stage 1 i take it? All standard oils etc?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
All standard, although I'll be putting Willall oil in the transmission at 18 months (when it will have about 10000 miles).

I run a custom map similar to what Rich-GT does an 11.0 quarter mile with (also on a stock car when I last heard), but it is very safe, max 1.2 bar. So it is my "cheap ass 997.2 PDK Turbo" with similar acceleration, firmer ride and better handling :)

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All standard, although I'll be putting Willall oil in the transmission at 18 months (when it will have about 10000 miles).

I run a custom map similar to what Rich-GT does an 11.0 quarter mile with (also on a stock car when I last heard), but it is very safe, max 1.2 bar. So it is my "cheap ass 997.2 PDK Turbo" with similar acceleration, firmer ride and better handling :)
Really appreciate the info. :thumbsup:

Sounds like the route i'll take.

The instant switching is the 'killer app', so i could can run econ/stock till the oil temps etc get up around 65+, then flick it into the custom map if and when ready. As you say, a safe way of getting to 911T PDK world :D

(ASIDE: I wonder if you'd be able to log max oil/trans temps from the gauges somewhere on the ECU space for an AP to retrieve the info? Just a thought - i realise you are very busy and probably have a huge list of things you are working on and i'm not even a customer!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts