GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Looking to go stage4, ypipe, intakes, downpipes, injectors, backbox.

Do I buy a Cobb from someone on here offering at a good price which has stage 4 maps loaded, or go Litchfield and pay more.

What will make my car run more powerful, and safer?

I was surprised to learn they don't have a Dyno there so don't do mapping on the rollers, or actually give you a print out.

Will Cobb give me my desired results. 620bhp ish?

Are the maps free to download for Cobb, or is this one I'm looking at an extra special buy having stage 4 already loaded?

If not free to download, how much for instance is it for Rob at GTC I believe people talk about on here? to read my logs remotely and send me a custom map for my car? (Is this how it works?)

I believe my car already has the 2012 gearbox software so a Cobb NIS-005 will do the job ok and don't need a NIS-006?

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Out of those two options, then go litchfield, they know more than enough to tune a 35 and a rolling road isn't needed to map a car, a lot of people say road mapping is best. A preloaded map is done for another car, every engine is different.
You also have other choices in the UK like the other traders on here, plenty to choose from

I believe litchfield use Ecutek, SVM and many others use COBB. The COBB. 5 can be upgraded to COBB6 at a few hundred pound, or sell COBB and go for Ecutek via Litchfield

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Because EcuTek has pulled ahead of COBB with extra features a number of the "old" COBB tuners have started to do the EcuTek as well.

But out of those choices I'd certain go for the EcuTek.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yea COBB is pretty ancient tech now..

Ecutek is far more advanced now and your best off taking your car to Litchfield..

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Go for Litchfield. As said ecutek has started to get ahead of Cobb with its capabilities etc.

Litchfield have there own base maps they use for each stage. If you know someone that has the ecutek cable then you can make live log files for Iain and send them to him so he can tweak the map to get the best from it.

Believe me they have done hundreds of hours developing these maps so I wouldn't worry about needing a dyno

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Ah I need to catch up on these advancements then! Kinda off topic but not at the same time, is there a thread to compare the two and show these advancements?

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
There are no advancements to compare.

The Cobb trump card is live mapping which ecutek still don't have (they can but it would mean rewriting the whole gui - and as yet it doesn't seem to be stopping people from buying).

A comparison chart would now be quite a relic. Ecutek have a huge number of new features and Cobb aren't innovating, they are trying to catch up at a development rate that is slower than ecutek's and so the gap is widening.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
I think Ecutek is the way forward.

But the cost for a complete Ecutek map of car and transmission with the Data Cable is approx £1200??? You still need a laptop/device of your own for diagnostics, reset error codes etc.

This is where I think the COBB will appeal to a certain market. You can pick up a COBB AP NIS006 for around £400 ;) with the updated transmission software and custom tunes for certain stages of cars!!! You have a handheld device to carry in the glove box should any errors occur and you need to reset when you are away from home.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
why do you need to do the gearbox again if it has already been done?
Sorry I meant if you need to update the gearbox software from the old version to new. A fair few stock MY09 cars out there that have never had an update.

Also, for gearbox relearn and adjusting touch points??? Isn't this something that can need doing every now and then if there is a slight issue with tcm? :confused:

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Why did I think you can adjust the touch points and relearn without having the gearbox software?

I remember having that option in mine long before I put the gearbox software on.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
EcuTek, no brainer.

I'd personally use Litchfield, not only for the reasons above, but also for the Litchfield Traction Control which they've developed on the EcuTek

·
Registered
278 Posts
EcuTek, no brainer.

I'd personally use Litchfield, not only for the reasons above, but also for the Litchfield Traction Control which they've developed on the EcuTek
+1 Litchfield have made great developments on the ECUtek platform, can't recommend them enough :thumbsup:

Well worth my regular trips from Manchester for their services

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Why did I think you can adjust the touch points and relearn without having the gearbox software?

I remember having that option in mine long before I put the gearbox software on.
Sorry Adam,

My knowledge is somewhat limited - but you know what I meant? :nervous:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Out of those two options, then go litchfield, they know more than enough to tune a 35 and a rolling road isn't needed to map a car, a lot of people say road mapping is best. A preloaded map is done for another car, every engine is different.
You also have other choices in the UK like the other traders on here, plenty to choose from

I believe litchfield use Ecutek, SVM and many others use COBB. The COBB. 5 can be upgraded to COBB6 at a few hundred pound, or sell COBB and go for Ecutek via Litchfield
Once I get my GTR I intend to get it mapped, along with a few other things :chuckle:. I certainly would want it on a RR after its being mapped though, mainly just to make sure it's running as it should.

I'm assuming it's easy enough to move from Cobb to Ecutek?

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Once I get my GTR I intend to get it mapped, along with a few other things :chuckle:. I certainly would want it on a RR after its being mapped though, mainly just to make sure it's running as it should.

I'm assuming it's easy enough to move from Cobb to Ecutek?
As said in your thread you went for Litchfield you would get a bas map which will run on the car fine. I had the base stage 4 map on my car for 4/5 months before I managed to get a log fine done/

After the log file Iain tweaked a couple of wee things which improved the top end but the base map was pretty much spot in

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
As others have said the ecutek is leagues ahead of the cobb now so i would go for that.

Litchfields are my prefered outfit, as they are for many others, to get this done. They have spent a long time refining things and are at the forefront of R&D with the ecutek and for me its a no brainer.

I know SVM are offering it now as well and Ben Linney who by all accounts is a good egg can remote map it too now he's made the switch from cobb. So you have options.

One thing i would definately do is get a bespoke map for your car as they are all different. Just loading somebody elses stage IV + downpipes map on isn't going to be the best performance wise although it will be relatively safe i would have thought.

And finally don't get too hung up on dyno readings! It's how it feels on the bum dyno that counts IMO.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts