GTR Forum banner

Cobra immobilised my car!

5K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  DWC 
#1 · (Edited)
What started off as a simple job today turned into a complete pigs ear all due to Cobra. As most of you know the GTR is fitted as standard with a Cobra tracker, the fees are extortionate and every experienced scumbag knows exactly where the tracker is fitted, especially when it does it's little party piece that most GTR owners know about. Anyhow today we were fitting my retrimmed steering wheel so the battery was disconnected, which has been done several times before, and after the job was completed we went to start the car and was met with a christmas tree of lights on the dash, every warning light and the engine check light flashing. We plugged in an Ecutek cable which suggested there was a starter motor relay problem, initially the wheel was taken off again to check there were no loose wires or shorts and then the relays and fuses were checked for the starter motor. Eventually Chris says, "I think it must be an immobiliser problem and it's just coincidence that it has appeared after the wheel has been off". I then vaguely remembered there being a thread on here previously where somebody had starting problems which turned out to be tracker related so I decided to ring Cobra. Receptionist answers so I say, " Hello, is it possible your system has immobilised my car even though I don't have a subscription or contract with your company?" " Yes, that's possible, I'll take all your details and get one of our technical team to phone you back straightaway." After 30 mins waiting I got fed up and phoned Litchfields and spoke to one of the mechanics, he confirmed what we already suspected that the Cobra had immobilised my car and gave us two suggestions to try, the second one was to remove the tracker and wiring! We went through and tried the first suggestion which failed to start the car so I then decided to ring Cobra again and demanded to speak to one of their technical team straight away. After a long discussion he eventually told us of a way to disarm the immobiliser by soldering in a wire across two pins, after the rewiring was completed car starts and all lights and fault codes are out but I cannot see this is acceptable that Cobra can randomly disable my car when I don't have a contract etc with their company. It was fortunate that I remembered the thread or we could still be trying to figure out the problem and a way of solving it. Cobra will be receiving my letter regarding this incident and an invoice to cover my costs. They are a bunch of tosspots! :mad:

See less See more
#2 ·
Yep must be **** anoying!

I've had 2 sets of repeated phone calls from Cobra in the middle of the night (1am and 4am) to say there is an allert on my car but the car was in the garage and hadn't moved!

and I pay £120 p.a. for the privaldige..

#3 ·
cobra

agreed .
i bought a gtr with cobra subs paid for 10 months ,they then wanted 200 odd £ to activate it for me so that money was in there pocket and they want to double it with me , the car barely 3 years old .the tracker was u s so they sent someone to look ,said i need a new one 500 £ plus subs they are a con,so now have a tracker locate 189 +subs im a lot happier now and they aint got my doe

#7 ·
barry, did you try pressing and holding the button on your tracker fob?
Had the same happen to me after disconnecting the battery for a while while working on the car and the above resets the tracker immobiliser.

It's not the first time it's happened either, apparently they disabled the car while it was on the dealers ramp while in for a service!

Protegimus

#11 ·
I wouldn't use Cobra purely because anyone who spends 5 minutes on the internet can find out exactly where the tracking device is located.
The whole idea of the clicking when not active so people know where it is really boils my pee!

This sounds like a good reason to rip it out if you have one that's not active.

#20 ·
Good result there Barry. Glad they compensated you for the hassle. Fair play to them, was expecting them to try to wriggle out of it :thumbsup:

Will have to remember that one for the future when I go down another tracker route. Might be able to get Cobra to cover the installation and subscription if I'm lucky :chuckle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.