GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, didnt know if i should put this in another part of the forum, if so, apologies......

I believe my coil packs are breaking down internally, as the car seems to hiccup when driving cold (not at fast speeds atall, pottering at 30) occasionally, and chugs, but when warmed up, the car is fine. Infact, when warmed up, turned off for an hour - not cooled down hardly - and started again, the car is 100% faultless.

Originally, i thought i had faulty plugs - so i changed those, the the fuel filter, oil filter, sump ring, oil.

having talked to a respected jap mechanic who works for Subaru, but also has done previous work on skylines, RX7's etc, he advised the coil packs could be breaking down.

Is there a way of testing the coil packs to see if they are breaking down? as i have only had a skyline for a few months, and not that mechaniclly technical, how many coilpacks have i got on a 1995 R33 GTR? i presume 3 packs but please correct if need be.

I am also doing a cylinder pressure test on the weekend, to see if all 6 cylinders are at the same pressure and working fine.

any advice muchly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
The only way of testing coilpacks as far as I know is to buy a new set or known good set and continually swap them out in pairs with your ones until you discover the pair (or one of a pair) that are faulty.

I was faced with a similar decision when my R34 was hesitating, although it did it from hot or cold. In the end I just bought some Splitfire coilpacks new because I figured the labour cost and hassle involved in swapping pairs out, test driving over and over again would cost more than the coilpacks themselves.

That doesn't really help you, but I think if you're looking for the budget option your best bet is to try and find someone with a known good set and testing each of them.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really looking for the budget option, just thought there was a way of testing which packs had broken/began to break.

Think i`ll just buy a new set.

Can someone advise the best place to get a set of coil packs? I assume Abbey but wondered if somewhere like Camskill would stock some......

Thanks for the reply though.:D

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
If you do go for a new set I would recommend Splitfire, I found them to be a big improvement especially on responsiveness, although my old set were pretty shot so anything was better. Abbey or most of the reputable sources should have them, cant say about price though.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
mine is doing the odd hiccup/hesitation thing when cold. After a minute or two its fine and drives as normal but the first few minutes heading off to my kung fu class last night made it hiccup and hesitate which was a bit embarassing leaving the street. Its fine on idle just when I accel a little bit and the car starts to fetch the turbo into play.
reading some other posts - someone mentioned grubby afms so I'll give em a clean (wont hurt) with elec contact cleaner. Failin that if this problem increases through the rev range then chances are I'm gonna need a set o splitfires myself.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I bought a set of splitfires from opie oils for a rather nice price. A lot less than Ebay prices.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I'm def up for a group buy if anyone finds one? I was lookin at nengun - they were about 230quid delivered (that was the final figure their checkout/cough-n-drop page gave me) but I'm not sure if there would be any more charges on top of that.

def up for group buy - keep me posted!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts