GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I seemed to have developed a bit of a issue with my 33 gtr. At first it seemed hesitant until 3k rpm then it would surge forward and when it had surged forward it would be fine.

The other morning it seemed hesitant but i didnt get the surge forwards and it has seemed like that since.

I have also noticed the rear of the car is now getting quite a bit of carbon and it seems to have a very slight missfire while idling.

Just looking for suggestions of what this may be. A very kind member of the forum is sending me his coils for me to try and see if it is these.

:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I'd look at the solder joints in the MAFs. My friend's R32 is going through similar troubles and after meticulously going through the ignition system (every part including plugs) and fuel system, plus doing a hard reset on the ECU...all that's left are the MAFs.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just pulled the mafs off the car not literally and they look dirty inside or do they often get like that

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
carb cleaner, spray them down good. them pry off the cover to the electronics and redo the solder joints. Reseal with silicone, reinstall, and enjoy :)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sprayed them through with brake cleaner and let them dry well for about 30 mins reinstalled and seemed much better for 5 mins back to normal now. didnt have any solder so couldnt try that tonight

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could still do with some assistance on this it seems to be worse when the car is cold and as soon as the car reaches 3krpm it gets its go back but seems guttless until then. Its not turbo lag before someone says it. I can literally put my foot flat to the floor and it will struggle to the 3krpm barrier then will pull just fine.

Help?????

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the same problem start the car from cold and it seems hesitant and missfires slightly after a few mins all is well i have new plugs irdiums heat range 8 i am thinking it may be the choke on cold start up.If you find a answer please let me know cheers matt

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the same problem start the car from cold and it seems hesitant and missfires slightly after a few mins all is well i have new plugs irdiums heat range 8 i am thinking it may be the choke on cold start up.If you find a answer please let me know cheers matt
Have you tried anything to fix this yet if so what have you tried??

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have had new iridims ngks fitted but the problem is still there. the problem only lasts a couple of mins then all is well i think it might have somethink to do with the auto choke. As if its the coil packs why does the problem go after 2-3 mins. cheers matt

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had new iridims ngks fitted but the problem is still there. the problem only lasts a couple of mins then all is well i think it might have somethink to do with the auto choke. As if its the coil packs why does the problem go after 2-3 mins. cheers matt

Well today i took the plunge and tried taking apart the afms as per on the skylines australia site and re soldered the joints and it now seems to be ok. Will be able to tell for def when i next take the car out as it is usually worst when cold. Car does seem to pull much harder tbh

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i was hoping that the soldering of afms sorted the problem but it hasnt. still trying to work this out and its doing my head in

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok dont want to be to eager but i think its sorted wahheeyyy!!!!

Replaced the gasket under the twin turbo pipe to the front turbo, the car was cold as not been run for several days and would normally do it then and drove smooth as can been and pulled harder than before from lower revs.

Lets keep our fingers crossed

·
Registered
112 Posts
so it turned out to be the gasket under the twin turbo pipe i will look at mine at the weekend mine stops miss firing after approx 2 mins or so maybe as the pipe heats up it expands and closes the small leak where did you get the replacment gasket would i be able to use the instant gasket paste cheers matt

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it may cure yours but i spoke to soon and my prob shown its face again.

I think i have narrowed it down to afm wiring, afms, intercooler pipework.

Its really doing my head in now

·
Registered
242 Posts

I noticed that exactly with my gtr, carb cleaned mafs better but not perfect, different plugs no change, had a missfire a while ago after a couple of track sessions, so already have new yellow jacket coil packs, still there, new fuel filter, still there, no fault codes, then started hear PINKING when coming on boost! when drivern hard and soot all over her arse, thought fuel pumps getting on abit, so bought a (i won't bother using a 70 quid walbro on car like this) HKS uprated GTR R33 pump from Sumo Power problem sorted, better fuel economy, not joking, smoother and more toruqe on same boost level, spoke to GT Art who where busy moving and had no stock, a clever chap there said he seen it before when the variable voltage part of pump has gone wrong and caused this, hope tha helps.:clap:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for the reply olly interesting i have only changed plugs and cleaned the mafs so far i did not want to splash out on new coil packs and mafs ect as they are expensive items and i was worried it may not solve the problem was the hks fuel pump expensive i think i let tr racing have a look.cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts