GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO PPL
can somebody reccommend a good cold air box set up for an r33.....not too expensive please:chuckle:
many thanks
kieran

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
You could just go or a ARC Box which are meant to be 1st class i am however looking to design something to partition my pod filters

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
HELLO PPL
can somebody reccommend a good cold air box set up for an r33.....not too expensive please:chuckle:
many thanks
kieran
Yes, one of the best CAB's is the one that came with the car from the factory, and it is free.:smokin:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cold air box

yes matty:thumbsup:thats the kiddy im looking for.....am i right in saying that one removes their cone filter to use this item??
thanks matt
kieran

·
Registered
25,945 Posts
yep correct,

used an ARC one on my 32, then i got rid of the Nismo intake system and replaced it with ARC on the 34

really smart airbox :)

bolts on to the AFMs directly

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the 34 but doesn't the ARC box still suck warm air from under the bonnet in those pics? Shouldn't it be fed cold air through a plastic assembly over the slam panel?

The filtering might be better but surely the idea is to get cold air to it? Unless it's got a bonnet vent/intake?

Cust curious as i'd like to make some sort of partition for mine so the pod doesn't suck warm air from under the bonnet. I'm ditching the K&N panel for a pod as I want the induction noise back! :)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Air intake systems in order of performance (on the road)

1. Pressurised air box
2. Ambient air temp fed High flow filters (Apexi, Greddy, HKS, etc with cold air feed)
3. Engine bay mounted High flow filters

Where option 1 is way above option 2 and 3.

However, when High flow pod filter manufacturers quote bhp gains, they use a dyno, i.e static air conditions, where a pressurised system is not being fed enough air to buid pressure.

From the above, we can see that one of the the best systems would be to use a standard airbox, and fit a pressurised snorkel to feed it.

The stock unit already has such a snorkel, but it is not the best design. Unfortunately the stock airbox is kind of upside down too, as in the filter is on top, so it leaves little room to make up a good snorkel system.

But implemented correctly, this system would offer better performance than even if you were to run no filters on the MAFS at all.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
Just to throw in another variable - your perfect airbox would be huge. The faster the air moves the lower the pressure.

If you see the airboxes used on modern sportsbike they are huge, much larger than most sportscars. Given that the bikes are generating less power (i.e. processing less air) you'd expect smaller airboxes.

From what I can see the reality is that you try and minimise the crapness. Your system will be drawing in warm air, the snorkel won't be in the highest pressure area (again see sportsbikes' snorkel positioning), etc etc etc You want to aim for the largest volume, with the least warm air (i.e. enginebay), with the least restrictive filter and so on.

Airbox design has come on a long way and lots of stock set-ups nowadays are very good. However they are usually very quiet and if you can make yours produce a lovely whooshing sucking sound people will think it's better.

If the ARC (or other) boxes are bigger than the stock items, have better filters or better intakes then they will probably show an improvement but I'd imagine that a modded stock box would be just as good (or as near as) and cost a lot less.

Of course a couple of pod filters look much tricker when you're parked up and are worth more pub bhp!

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
See what you think of it and please put up your findings. I do like the look of the ARC boxes. I like the idea of having the large filter and the entire airbox area devoted to the filtered air (rather than half and half as usual).

·
Registered
25,945 Posts
thats the older style box

one thing i would say is ditch that filter thats in it,

they are the old type, they are like wet card,

get a new filter and you will be fine.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cold air box

thats the older style box

one thing i would say is ditch that filter thats in it,

they are the old type, they are like wet card,

get a new filter and you will be fine.
price plz matty for new filter

thanks
kieran

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i like bling as you can see matty!!! and the red filter card will add a bit of color...thanks for your ideas anyhow matty...can you get me a deffo price on that replacement filter when you get a chance
thanks, also availability is very important

kieran

1 - 17 of 17 Posts