GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cold plugs from what I understand, simply transmit heat more efficiently, thereby keeping the cylinder cooler. But that heat has to go somewhere...do colder plugs mean the coilpacks have to deal with more heat? I know my ignition amp (ignitor) doesn't seem to like heat when it's on the way out.

Should we all be running with our plug covers off and coilpacks exposed?

·
Registered
172 Posts
This is a very good question. Surely the cover cant help. At least with the cover off the airflow has a chance to flow over them.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Colder plugs will transfer the heat of the electrodes to the cilinder head,
The electrodes will work best at a certain temprature, and to reach and maintain that ideal temprature the correct amount of heat disposal must be chosen.

Too cold means that the plug transfers too much heat away from the elektrodes and doesn't reach the ideal temprature, therefore it wouldn't work properly, beacause of the different resistance, bridge voltage etc

Too hot plugs cant dispose enough heat and the electrodes tempratures will rise above the ideal temprature, can cause glowing plugs that will ignite the mixture before ignition, (detonation) and can burn nice holes in your piston's.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fecking ignitor started going out today, wasn't even that warm, maybe 10 degrees out. Having been through this before...pulled the ignitor out when I parked my car, brought it into work where it cooled off completely, and all good again. Well, at least until it gets toasty hot again - but the odd thing is, I drove the bejesus out of my car after work in the dark, and was unable to replicate the problem - not a single miss. Whereas earlier in the day it was missing so badly at any rpm above idle it was embarassing, like driving a 2CV on its dying last breaths.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts