GTR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an oil cooler in the wheel well... temps arent getting over mid 70s which I think means the oil isnt hot enough.

a) Is this b****ks
and
b) Can anyone suggest a way of getting it to run hotter? Foil on over the cooler for example??

Ta

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
A lot of people run a thermostat, so the oil only run through the cooler when the stat opens.

Afraid mine doesn't have an oil cooler fitted so I can't help with the technical side, but I would be looking to fit a thermostat when I do get round to installing a cooler.

Cheers,

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
First question would be are you measuring the oil temp from the stock gauge. General consensus seems to be that they aren't the best.

If you want to get temps up the usual way is to tape off sections of the cooler.

I've just received a thermostatic sandwich plate which will be going on with the next oil change. Hopefully this will give the best of both worlds!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ive got a thermostatic oil cooler, never get any problems stays at a nice temp even on really cold days. I deffinately recommend one

·
Administrator
31,883 Posts
i insited on having the stat on mine for exactly the reasons above

GTRSTILL, dial up some BOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooost, that'll warm it up ;)

mook

·
Registered
158 Posts
i have a 33 grt with themostat plate on the oil cooler. warms up as normal but unless driving hard oil temp will sit at about 72-75 degrees which according to most ppl 70 degrees is the minimum you should boost at so i think im ok?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
It's nothing like hot enough, it won't even dry the condensation out of the oil, and engine wear will be far greater than with stock oil temps. A thermostatic sandwich plate is best, or remove it in the winter (just join the hoses with a male / male adaptor).

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
also heard that people "block" the oil cooler off with cardboard or something so there is effectivly no flow to it to cool the oil down

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I always wrap some cardboard in tin foil and cover the oil cooler in cold weather,

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Whilst a lower viscosity oil will give a lower oil pressure at a given temperature, it won't cause the running temp to rise, which is what is needed here. It'll probably do the reverse.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think blocking off the oil cooler should be the best bet, I can have a crack at that this afternoon.

Why hasnt someone like Ben Linney (hint hint)... thought of an oil cooler muff. Like the thing that goes around the little uns legs on a pram.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GTC Oil Cooler Muff or perhaps even the company who sells the baffled pipes??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts