GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ship comes in on friday, and I can collect my car on tuesday... :) Yippie!!!
but I need a way of getting the thing back 200 miles from Southampton to Essex... any cheap, LEGAL ideas??
I have a bloke that will put the thing on a trailer and cart it up here for £150... does that sound reasonable? or anyone know a cheaper method?

·
Registered
720 Posts
You don't need trade plates, just drive it home with 'no' plates on. You are allowed to collect imported cars from the docks and drive them to your house (providing you have insurance). If you get stopped; show the copper the 'Bill of lading' and insurance, and your covered.

Jason.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Driving home

Matt,
Jason is spot on, You can drive home without any plates. I did this last year from Southampton to Birmingham with no plates and writting all allover the window from the Customs and shipping agents, and there had been a fire on board the ship so the car was not only filthy from that, but also covered in algae from 18 months in a car pound!!, and still didn't get stopped. I even passed 2 police cars on the motorway on the way back. So I wouldn't pay £150 when you could have the pleasure yourself of driving back.

PaulP.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Jeeees Paul did you have to wait 18 month for your car then, or did you buy it like that, if you know what I mean......

Sorry tired Northen Bloke Rambling Again...

Si

PS Sorry Matt, hope you love it mate!!!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Chances are it will come in with next to no petrol and a flat battery - so make sure you take a can, and a spare battery.

Jason.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Import

Draxx,
The car was in a pound for 18 months before I bought it, So you can imagine the state it was in. But only needed a battery when I picked it up(Good ole AA!!). And of course no fuel, so no battery no fuel, the guy handing over the car said "theres no fule in the car, so you will need some...and also I have had to jump start the car so don't stop"!!!!!!!!!!!!!. So how do you put fuel in the car with out stopping???????????.

PaulP.

·
Registered
961 Posts
the air force do it all the time with in flight tankers !
:smokin:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Be Careful

When my car came off the Boat the guys could'nt be arsed to put ramps underneath the wheels when they took it out of the container. Exhaust had a great big split in the downpipes.... Bast**ds... And my car had the original tyres on the car, they had done 37000 miles and were down to the wire so could not drive it. (Although I had to to get new tyres, the tyre people were impressed that the tyres were still up)

Just a word of friendly warning

Malc

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dirk, Im using Anglia Forwarding, they say that they are charging me £40... but I will find out the full cost tonight or tomorrow...

Couzz, My car is not being shipped in a container, but on a RO-RO with shiny new Hyundais... so 'hopefully' the monkeys wont hurt it too much! the tyres look to be in pretty good condition, ie tread on them!!!

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Re: Import

paul palmer said:
Draxx,
The car was in a pound for 18 months before I bought it, So you can imagine the state it was in.
If its a small consolation, at least its been out of the elements for 18 months. No rain = no rust.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Anglia

Ah yes, thats good then, they are OK and £40 is about right.

I know this as this is what I do, for future reference of anyone else bringing a car or parts into the UK.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts