1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
More info please.
Which vehicle?
What is your output?
What type of driving?

No point putting in a 20000000hp rated clutch when you're running a factory tune! :)

For my two cents on what you've said - If i had a high output mill in mine a cheap clutch wouldn't be a priority - a good clutch would be.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ok - the go to for what you're after is the Nismo Coppermix. I've had Exedy Twin plates in the past and when rolling they were great, when taking off it was awful
and hill starts made people cry. By all accounts the coppermix is very streetable and handles power well.
My advice to anyone with these cars - don't re-invent the wheel - tried and true methods get the reputation for a reason :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ug.
I've done a few hard launches (and, at only 450bhp at the engine, shattered a release bearing in the process) BUT you need to remember that launches are generally brutal on the entire driveline. ATTESA will get stuff right most of the time but it's a system primarily built to help get traction out of corners earlier than other vehicles.
So, be warned, launching any GT-R is literally the worst thing you can do to it.

That said, when you strengthen the entire driveline there will always be a weak point and that, by design, is the clutch.With hard launches you WANT the clutch to wear because it takes the brunt of the impact, sheltering diffs, transfer cases and drive shafts from the initial impact of going from zero to one hunit.

The coppermix SHOULD be able to assist with some of this as it's tougher than standard. In spite of this however it will still wear over time and it won't protect the release bearing.
Nothing lasts forever but from everyone's comments the coppermix should help with things for a while. :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Probably decent, but if you plan on doing launches with any regularity I would consider a carbon clutch. If you don't want to blow up the front diff/oil pan you want to slip the clutch while applying load with the handbrake to preload the drivetrain.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yup. This. Thanks.
Was there any specific reason you wanted to move away from ATS? They're kinda a go to for carbon clutches.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi thanks,
I was going to look at sprung clutches more for driving in traffic really. The thing is, the ATS twin has been very good in standing up to punishment. It does rattle a fair bit when warm and I was hoping to get rid of that. I’m going to see how long it lasts (probably a little while as it’s not getting used much atm). The plates are fairly worn and the centre plate is a little bell shaped now. I had the box out at the beginning of this year and the clutch looked like it had got ‘Kin hot so was looking at options.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi thanks,
I was going to look at sprung clutches more for driving in traffic really. The thing is, the ATS twin has been very good in standing up to punishment. It does rattle a fair bit when warm and I was hoping to get rid of that. I’m going to see how long it lasts (probably a little while as it’s not getting used much atm). The plates are fairly worn and the centre plate is a little bell shaped now. I had the box out at the beginning of this year and the clutch looked like it had got ‘Kin hot so was looking at options.
All twin plate clutches rattle, you might be able to adjust how you work the clutch to make it less likely to do so though. If you want to be able to beat on the clutch you're going to want to stick to the ATS twin plate. If you're willing to be more gentle and avoid slipping it for drag launches the Coppermix Twin will be a little easier to drive in traffic.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Coppermix all day long for general driving and mine doesn't rattle
I have had hks and OS giken str clutches which were both a pain.The str was slightly better but I found that any ceramic clutch even if sprung ruined my driving pleasure as you were always hoping the traffic would keep moving so you didn't have to stop!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't think this applies to 5 speed boxes but the Getrag 6 speed is SUPER rattly at idle, regardless of clutch.
Just a thought. :)

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, it was always fine before I put the twin in. It’s definitely the clutch. I’m not too fussed at that really. I was just looking at options. So having looked into it, I spoke to indigo Gt who were the dealers I got a plate from before; I don’t think there are any ATS AND ACROSS dealers here in the uk 🇬🇧 anymore. Bastard thing slipped again yesterday in 3rd. I’ve adjusted the pedal but think I’m on borrowed time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Jimbostir. I have a Nismo Supercoppermix twin plate complete with flywheel, bearing and flywheel bolts thats done less than 800 miles. It was removed from my 33 gtr about 4 years ago and has been in my spare room ever since. PM me if your interested.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts