GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody I'm wondering can somebody help.

Basically, I've been biding my time and saving my money to bring in an R32 Gtr and I want it as close to standard as possible. I want everything as factory spec I don't want to change the look of it all. Original here is key.

But I'm wondering, what could I do that would be completely hidden from anybody's eyes that could increase engine output using what's already there.
I don't mean just a remap or increasing the boost.

I don't want to go mad with power 400 - 450 VERY Reliably.

Now here is the part where I'm very naive and don't know a lot about how engines work. Bear with me.
How about slightly up rated Camshafts and Gears, Slightly up rated injectors, slightly up rated fuel pump?

Can the standard turbos be Slightly up rated (internally only) ?
Can the standard inlet manifold be slightly modified ( internally only) ?
Can the standard intercooler be internally modified?

You can probably see where I'm going with this. I don't want Anybody to be able to see in ANY way that the car is altered from standard.

But also I don't want a monster. I want this to be smooth and extremely reliable as if it was an engine Nissan built themselves. In around 400 horses or just over but very reliable and subtle.

So tell me am I dreaming, or do I not know what the f**k I'm talking about!
Thanks a lot for reading!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you want circa 400bhp in an r32 run it at 1bar.

Job done.
Yes I addressed that in the post. I do not want to simply increase the boost. I know that would be the simple thing to do but I don't want to go down the simple root. I would like it to be perfect internally. I know it probobly obvious "just increase the boost" but it's a mental thing with me, it's about knowing what's in there. Do you know what I mean? Or is that mad? To me it makes sense

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
I presume you dont mean 100% original factory spec because that is a different thing. You wont get 400 that way.

And it depend on who you are looking to "fool" .If its the average guy - piece of cake to those who know - extremely difficult to impossible.
Exhaust for example - without a stock peashooter it wont be or look standard out the factory. Most people who dont own a skyline dont even know what a stock exhaust so they wont spot it but those that do cannot be fooled .

I have one completely stock and it took ages to get all the correct bits so forgive me for being "harsh" because for me stock is stock and if it isnt then its modded.

But if f you mean look standard ish then there is no problem . You can easily make it quick and not look lary or like a race car.

changing the exhaust wont matter to most I doubt yours is standard anyway, fit a boost controller run at .8 or 9 , induction and a power Fc and you have 400 quite easly .
You dont need cams or internal stuff for 400. But you could fit tomei cams .
There is no point in fitting a different turbos if you are only going to run it at the original factory boost level. But I would fit a set of 34 turbos which look very similar and then you could have more boost and the power will come in earlier.

Assuming its done right the car will be very reliable and very driveable and that level is one of the best to drive assuming you dont want to race or track it.

To sum up yopu need to decide what is your definition of standard.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Yes I addressed that in the post. I do not want to simply increase the boost. I know that would be the simple thing to do but I don't want to go down the simple root. I would like it to be perfect internally. I know it probobly obvious "just increase the boost" but it's a mental thing with me, it's about knowing what's in there. Do you know what I mean? Or is that mad? To me it makes sense
It's mental chief. The car is designed to run 1 bar and circa 400bhp. To have a turbo produce 1/3 more power at the same rpm and boost its not possible.

Why is 1 bar not perfect internally anyway?

To add Brian is spot on. Extra power is easy. Making the engine look stock is easy too. Reliable is possible too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thank I appreciate the reply. I mean 100% stock. Standard everything. Can't get a boost controller, can't get an induction kit, can't get a power FC, can't get an exhaust can't change anything visably. It's a little mission I'm on

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 bar would be grand to run but what I mean is, let's just say Nissan put out an engine In a car that was 450 hp out of the factory. So standard car out of the factory, standard exhaust standard intake, standard boost, standard everything. I imagine the make up of the engine would be slightly different. I want to make this into a standard 450 hp engine. Not 280 hp and force it to 400 or 450, I want it to sit at 450 comfortably and reliably.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Clearly you must change something...

Just remove the boost restrictor and you'll have 1 bar.

Personally I'd want to remap to match the fuel here, rather than the 100Ron in Japan

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
its not possible as you will need an altered ecu, but all the components will do 400 hp with some more boost.

it doesn't matter how you achieve the extra 120 hp you will need extra fuel for it, and you will need a massive turbo to make 450 hp at 0.6 - 0.7 bar of boost.

from a mechanics point of view what your asking is impossible.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its not possible as you will need an altered ecu, but all the components will do 400 hp with some more boost.

it doesn't matter how you achieve the extra 120 hp you will need extra fuel for it, and you will need a massive turbo to make 450 hp at 0.6 - 0.7 bar of boost.

from a mechanics point of view what your asking is impossible.
Well what I said in my post is I don't mind slightly uprating the injectors or the fuel pump. But one of my questions was can the internals of the standard turbos be altered one the inside only that would allow for bigger power. I don't want to swap the turbos I mean the standard turbos rebuilt internally

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Well what I said in my post is I don't mind slightly uprating the injectors or the fuel pump. But one of my questions was can the internals of the standard turbos be altered one the inside only that would allow for bigger power. I don't want to swap the turbos I mean the standard turbos rebuilt internally

whatever way you make the 400 hp it is down to airflow and fuel, what your proposing will cost a fortune and be potentially not as good as a stage 1 car.

I don't know how anyone is going to make the stock turbos flow another 15 lbs/min of air at stock boost pressure, if you make a turbo flow more air you will loose response theres no way around it, when the turbos will flow the extra 15 lbs/min of air with 0.4 bar more boost it madness to try and make them flow more without more boost as they will need modifying heavily and become lazy

if your gonna slightly uprate things then where does it stop ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm being a bit blunt but: This is a bit of a ludicrous mission. You need to educate yourself a bit more about engines. Not on here I mean buy a book understand the fundamental principles. The things the affect the power produced. There is no magic switch to unleash power. Either programming or physical components must change. And programming can only do so much within the hardware limitations; in fact standard ECU is not in itself reprogrammable.

To make more power you to need to burn more fuel, to do that you need more air, to do that you need more boost, bigger turbos at the same boost or more displacement. That said efficiently of tune can make a difference ie timing must be right.

So there are kits to change turbo internals but the reason for doing this is usually to replace ceramic internals for steel for reliability and to run more boost. I believe you can get an N1 spec ish turbo this way.
You won't see the gains you want unless you run 1 bar boost. GTR's are soggy off boost they love to rev and need 1bar to hit their straps. You could make a stroker engine increase displacement to 2.8 3.0litre and run 0.7 bar but that would be expensive and not realise it's full potential with that little boost.

Seems to me your power target is arbitrary anyway. Pick a goal based on how you want the car to feel and drive not numbers.

1.0-1.2 bar with steel wheel turbos exhaust and ECU with electronic boost control, will easy make a safe 380-400hp for a long time.
You want bullet proof, do fuel pump injectors, oil cooler. Want bomb proof, do extended sump, tomei oil pump forged internals, crank, bearings, studs, head gasket and n1, block afms. But now youve spent $10-$20k easy.

On an N1 engine will get you there out of the box but it already has half those things done to it so why not mod yourself for half the cost?

If you. Want stock keep it stock but have stock power. If you. Mod pick a goal and do whait takes to do it right. You can't have both I'm afraid.

·
Registered
110 Posts
whatever way you make the 400 hp it is down to airflow and fuel, what your proposing will cost a fortune and be potentially not as good as a stage 1 car.

I don't know how anyone is going to make the stock turbos flow another 15 lbs/min of air at stock boost pressure, if you make a turbo flow more air you will loose response theres no way around it, when the turbos will flow the extra 15 lbs/min of air with 0.4 bar more boost it madness to try and make them flow more without more boost as they will need modifying heavily and become lazy

if your gonna slightly uprate things then where does it stop ?
Ha would be funny. Big lag monster turbo that only makes 0.7 bar and never comes into its efficiency range. But as you say even if you. Did that it wouldn't be the stock turbos no matter how they were modded internally.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm being a bit blunt but: This is a bit of a ludicrous mission. You need to educate yourself a bit more about engines. Not on here I mean buy a book understand the fundamental principles. The things the affect the power produced. There is no magic switch to unleash power. Either programming or physical components must change. And programming can only do so much within the hardware limitations; in fact standard ECU is not in itself reprogrammable.

To make more power you to need to burn more fuel, to do that you need more air, to do that you need more boost, bigger turbos at the same boost or more displacement. That said efficiently of tune can make a difference ie timing must be right.

So there are kits to change turbo internals but the reason for doing this is usually to replace ceramic internals for steel for reliability and to run more boost. I believe you can get an N1 spec ish turbo this way.
You won't see the gains you want unless you run 1 bar boost. GTR's are soggy off boost they love to rev and need 1bar to hit their straps. You could make a stroker engine increase displacement to 2.8 3.0litre and run 0.7 bar but that would be expensive and not realise it's full potential with that little boost.

Seems to me your power target is arbitrary anyway. Pick a goal based on how you want the car to feel and drive not numbers.

1.0-1.2 bar with steel wheel turbos exhaust and ECU with electronic boost control, will easy make a safe 380-400hp for a long time.
You want bullet proof, do fuel pump injectors, oil cooler. Want bomb proof, do extended sump, tomei oil pump forged internals, crank, bearings, studs, head gasket and n1, block afms. But now youve spent $10-$20k easy.

On an N1 engine will get you there out of the box but it already has half those things done to it so why not mod yourself for half the cost?

If you. Want stock keep it stock but have stock power. If you. Mod pick a goal and do whait takes to do it right. You can't have both I'm afraid.
Thanks man some good solid information there. I know myself I need to get a lot better acquainted with engine fundamentals. Your right I do want to avoid lag so I wanted to keep the turbos as small and responsive as possible but safe and stable at higher power. Basically I want when I open my engine bay to look as a standard Gtr but when driven has unexplainable grunt. It's a personal thing for me

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Thanks man some good solid information there. I know myself I need to get a lot better acquainted with engine fundamentals. Your right I do want to avoid lag so I wanted to keep the turbos as small and responsive as possible but safe and stable at higher power. Basically I want when I open my engine bay to look as a standard Gtr but when driven has unexplainable grunt. It's a personal thing for me
I get all that but as has been said, you CAN have that in a GTR just by removing the stock boost restrictor. Its something Nissan put in to reduce power to keep within the, then, gentlemans agreement of 280BHP. A GTR will easily run 400+ BHP without issue and stress. Its not like the old Cossie days which engines would regularly go bang when folks meddled with the boost. Nissan engineered these engines to accept power WAY above stock for competitive purposes. You think running a BAR of boost is overstressing the engine???

So, in short, you CAN have extra power without issue AND keep a stock engine bay. If I have read your previous posts correctly and understand your mindset regarding this I have to conclude your barking if you think upping the boost to 1BAR (which is only .2-.3 above stock anyway!!) is NOT the way forward to achieve your goal.

Sorry that might sound harsh but there you go.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I get all that but as has been said, you CAN have that in a GTR just by removing the stock boost restrictor. Its something Nissan put in to reduce power to keep within the, then, gentlemans agreement of 280BHP. A GTR will easily run 400+ BHP without issue and stress. Its not like the old Cossie days which engines would regularly go bang when folks meddled with the boost. Nissan engineered these engines to accept power WAY above stock for competitive purposes. You think running a BAR of boost is overstressing the engine???

So, in short, you CAN have extra power without issue AND keep a stock engine bay. If I have read your previous posts correctly and understand your mindset regarding this I have to conclude your barking if you think upping the boost to 1BAR (which is only .2-.3 above stock anyway!!) is NOT the way forward to achieve your goal.

Sorry that might sound harsh but there you go.
Thanks for replying. No I don't feel it would be over stressing the engine but I just wonder long term is it feasible does it not need anything else to keep it safe and reliable. I would want let's say 450 to be a walk in the park with potential for more.
Do you think that a car running a bar compared to .7 is just as reliable.
Let's say if there was never a gentlemans aggrement and Nissan released the skyline what do you think would be the advertised power output.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts