GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, picked up a 4dr R32 GTSt running full R33 GTR running gear & 522bhp for a very nice sum, bought it blind it was that cheap. Picked it up, smoked like a trooper when driven and laggy to boot, but other than that ran sweet with good temps & oil pressure.
Removed the standard breather system and vented to atmosphere and the smoke died down a fair bit, but it was still there on boost and overrun. It was breathing slightly heavily too: white vapour out the breathers, slight blowby also evident from the dipstick, nothing from the oil filler cap. Didn't chuck oil out the breathers even at 1.4 bar. There is oil in the turbo & intercooler pipework.

Got round to doing the compression test today, plug No.6 was blackened so expected the worst...

1: 138psi
2: 148psi
3: 150psi
4: 152psi
5: 150psi
6: 25psi.

So... I'm thinking there might be a slight issue with No.6 :D No.1 could be a bit better as well...

I had always assumed the rings could be dead, but my mate reckons it's a valve and hopefully he's right. It didn't smoke on idle either warm or cold, or when revving whilst stationary. Whilst testing cylinders 1-5, the engine turned over slowly, when testing cyl 6, it turned over much faster.

I was a bit of a tit and just started strippping it down without a wet test to better identify the issue, but hey ho, the head's almost ready to come off.

So... Valve, rings or both? :runaway:

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Ringland usually.

Can lead to other issues.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Def the ringland on 6. Sounds like too much boost
Yeah, wouldn't surprise me. The car had been in storage for a while and was an unknown entity. Hopefully there won't be too much damage down there and it can be rebuilt fairly quickly :nervous:

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Hopefully it hasn't scored the bores and with a bit of luck the bits of piston haven't damaged the exhaust wheels on the turbos

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will get the head pulled off tomorrow and see what's what. It's been a nice engine to work on so far, I'm used to CA18DETs and the RB is just like its 6 cylinder big brother :cool:

I guess the RB has gay ringlands like the CA has gay big ends :D

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
it will show a 1 inch wide mark up the bore most likely though

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, head's got to come off anyway.

Some nice HKS cams in there. Which is nice :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts