GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
31,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
why the hell do manufacturers insist on adverting games using rendered sequences?

surely the best advert would be to use the actual in game graphics?

Like the current Ghost Recon ad for the XBOX 360, thats supposed to be some Tour de force, and the best way to convince me to buy a 360 is to show up my ps2's graphics... but i'm not buying a damn thing until i see in game graphics

Mook

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Mook -

Yup - I totally agree. In fact, I'd go as far as to say they MUST be breaking some kind of false advertising law - what you see is definately not what you get!

I remember watching that ad and thinking 'HOLD ON A MINUTE!!"

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Well the problem is a lot of the games push the systems too far graphically and so you get fantastic still shot, but in game you're only looking at around 10-20 fps which looks rubbish.

I remember when Perfect Dark came out for the N64 and it was great to look at until you started firing weapons and then the game slowed right down.

But yeah, I agree, they are falsely advertising the game by using pre-rendered shots only.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I remember a mate showing me footage of some of the new PS3 games, specifically Killzone and Motorstorm, and raving about the clearly pre-rendered videos. I'd love to believe that half of the stuff we see in these pre-rendered mockups is possible graphically, but I think we're probably a good 5 years or more away from that level of rendering in real-time (in a readily available and economically viable platform).

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I agree that using pre-rendered cut scenes in advertising is cr4p and false advertising IMO, however I will say that Ghost Recon 3 on the 360 is a VERY good game - and graphically/sonically it is superb - especially if you have a kick ass AV setup :cool:

·
Hawaii-5-0
1,817 Posts
Blow Dog said:
Mook -

Yup - I totally agree. In fact, I'd go as far as to say they MUST be breaking some kind of false advertising law - what you see is definately not what you get!

I remember watching that ad and thinking 'HOLD ON A MINUTE!!"
It says in the bottom left hand corner of the screen for the first few seconds "Not in-game footage". Small and unobtrusive as you like, but it's there.

·
Administrator
31,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats what annoys me. Why bother rendering a sequence when the game is supposedly "action packed"

surely you could cut and past together a decent ad from in game footage. Afterall the Grand theft Auto series did it to great effect.

that other game, the one where the mansion is getting shot to shit. if the game is THAT good, show me more than a fleeting glimpse.

I understand it on really shit, commercial, high budget games, like Harry potter, or the Hulk etc, but not on supposed "gamers" games

mook

·
Hawaii-5-0
1,817 Posts
It's done for the same reason they advertise 4x4s by filming them driving in straight lines along arrow flat 'trails' (I use the term loosely as they're usually as smooth as asphalt with the odd sprinkling of gravel), often with some kind of ocean spray in the background.

It works on most idiots :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts