GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I had an email from Keith last night which contained a badtrans virus. This is an internet worm which was discovered on 4/11/01 so older virus software will not spot it. The virus AUTOMATICALLY sends email from your read and unread mail. Keith might not know that he has sent this to me. The detail about this virus can be found at : http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=99069 . I have attached the details for removing the virus.
Dave

Manual Removal Instructions
WINDOWS 95/98/ME
· Restart Windows in Safe Mode (reboot your computer, just before the large WINDOWS startup screen comes up, hit the F5 key). You can recognize that you're in Safe Mode by the text Safe Mode in the 4 corners of the desktop.
· Click START | RUN, type %WINDIR% and hit ENTER
· Delete the INETD.EXE file (if present)
· Click START | RUN, type %WINDIR%\SYSTEM and hit ENTER
· Delete the following files (if they exist):
KERN32.EXE
KERNEL32.EXE
KDLL.DLL
HKSDLL.DLL
· Click START | RUN, type REGEDIT and hit ENTER
· Click the (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
· Click the (+) next to SOFTWARE
· Click the (+) next to MICROSOFT
· Click the (+) next to WINDOWS
· Click the (+) next to CURRENTVERSION
· Click RUNONCE
· Click on KERNEL32 on the right and hit DELETE on the keyboard
· Restart the computer

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lucky that the forum email goes to my place of work and gets screened for virus's isn't it:D
Is your machine ok then Keith?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
VIRUS

hi dave i did not know i had a virus and cant see anything in my computer

i have the latest

MCAFEE ANTI VIRUS AND UPDATE IT EVERY WEEK

are you sure i sent it to you. if so very sorry

keith

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
virus

Keith, yes you did and it probably gort sent without you knowing but if you have McAfee I can't understand how it sneaked on. It was in an email that said Middlehurst ecu.
If you reckon your machine is ok, I would not worry but I will let you know if I get it again. Interesting Paul had the same, which would mean it is doing the rounds of the members of the forum.
I don't think that it is a serious virus but could be if it got into a big organisation and everyone emailed everyone else as it would probably crash the mail server.
dave

·
Registered
547 Posts
Virus

It's likely that Keith didn't send the virus, but someone with Keith's email address in their outlook address book.

The Virus can pretend to have been sent from a different address.

Cheers

·
Registered
758 Posts
Joss

Yes I agree. I was sent a dodgy file (which I foolishly opened), before I knew it, everyone in my address book copped the badtrans virus. Dave's manual removal works fine, it's how I got rid of it.

Vincenzo.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You have to update your Internet explorer to SP2 via Windows update to prevent the virus from opening.
After applying the update Outlook asks to save the document instead of exectuting it.
My Mac only shows an unknown file :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts