GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi R35 fans,

My R35 has some, I say some... let's call its a rainforest amount of condensation, in the front left (as sitting in) Headlight, and my main beam bulb popped yesterday! no surprise, strangely enough my front right headlight is dry as a bone, and is working perfectly.

Acspeedtech checked with Nissan about a replacement under warranty, that's a no go..

so are people using the below fix
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/179750-headlight-condensation-fix.html
DIY How to Fix Water/Condensation in Your Headlights - Service & Maintenance - GT-R Life

Has anyone tried this and been 100% successful with it staying condensation free?? And also what year headlight might I need to buy to replace if it comes to it?

thanks

chron

x1 rainforest type 1 headlight

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
That's the worst I have seen you should be growing stuff in there! lol

Bobby

·
Registered
67 Posts
A friend of mine had a similar problem with his car. He put two of those silica packets in his lamp after he dried it and it seemed to have worked. :chuckle:

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a good enough reason to upgrade to MY15s
Hmmm temping!

Re-sealed tonnes of older cars with the oven/hair dryer method, i'm sure the same principle applies here?
Thanks jonnypolish have got acspeedtech on the case

That's the worst I have seen you should be growing stuff in there! lol
Bobby
ha ha told you all, like a bloomin rain forest!

why won't nissan swap them??? both mine were done from the last owner under warranty
Nope got Acspeedtech to call and ask the NHPC, and was told no.. lovely eh!!

A friend of mine had a similar problem with his car. He put two of those silica packets in his lamp after he dried it and it seemed to have worked. :chuckle:
:chuckle:

Guessing you don't keep her in a garage?
nahh I'm hardcore!

Also acspeedtech tell me the bulb hasnt blown (over £125 for one from Nissan), tho it was swimming in water! However the ballast has gone, Nissan want £250 for one!!

Anyone know of good aftermarket ones that will save me getting raped by Nissan?

I did see these below, if they are the correct ones? And which one? lol
nissan r35 ballast | eBay

thanks folks!

Chron

·
Registered
139 Posts
Same problem with my Gtr I just brought, I thought of buying a 2nd hand light but pointless if it happens to that one to. Would like the svm angel eyes but that's a big cost, when the standard lights look pretty good anyway.

Are the MY15 front lights simple plug and play on older cars?
bet they cost bucks! ...how much are they?
I know Litch do the rears on there website and there not cheap.

Defo gonna try and follow the link and add some extra sealant to them.
Not keen on dropping the bumper just to do it. But I'm in a dry garage so should pull my finger out and just do it!

·
Registered
117 Posts
we tried to split the headlights and re-seal them but to be honest they looked a mess, probable how were doing it. So we have tested another method. Dry the headlight out (we used an old one with previous condensation problem) and plastic welded the joint together all round except the visable section at the top. This headlight has been out on a car for some month now with no complaints. At the moment I am not saying this is a definate fix as we are still testing but could be worth a shot.
Interesting note though about the silica gel packs if you open a lamp there is one stuck to the inside of the lamp.

John

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Definitely upgrade to the MY14 headlights. :)
I'd love to have these, but spending 3k on headlights is heavy.

we tried to split the headlights and re-seal them but to be honest they looked a mess, probable how were doing it. So we have tested another method. Dry the headlight out (we used an old one with previous condensation problem) and plastic welded the joint together all round except the visable section at the top. This headlight has been out on a car for some month now with no complaints. At the moment I am not saying this is a definate fix as we are still testing but could be worth a shot.
Interesting note though about the silica gel packs if you open a lamp there is one stuck to the inside of the lamp.
John
thanks John, or could you replace my front left headlight for me, via Nissan Warranty? :p Isn't there a 5 year on headlights?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Chronos,

Sorry there is no warranty extension on the headlamps in the UK. The only things that have been extended were the audio & speedo units for the early non sat nav cars. The only campaign has been the steering lock.
If you want I can speak to Andy @ AC about your headlamps.

John

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Chronos,

Sorry there is no warranty extension on the headlamps in the UK. The only things that have been extended were the audio & speedo units for the early non sat nav cars. The only campaign has been the steering lock.
If you want I can speak to Andy @ AC about your headlamps.

John
ahhh ok, How long is the Audio/speedo extended until now? Just incase I get an issue..

Thanks John

Luckily Acspeedtech have sourced me a headlight now... at not much more than the ballast would have been with VAT .. So it will leave me with a spare bulb which is handy...

They checked my headlight and it does have corrosion in the fittings due to the condensation, so probably best changing the unit.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Had this with mine, replacement ballast i got from the US were a few hundred dollars, and the whole ballast was epoxy filled and seemed to be made to last in bad weather (genuine Nissan,part not aftermarket), whereas the original seemed like it would only be at home in a desert...

·
Registered
33 Posts
The warranty extension to the audio & speedo units was to 5 years I think most of them are now over that now as is was the early 09 cars that were covered.

John
Is the audio warranty extension cover all GTR's even if they were bought private as mine sounds terrible esp when its the radio whats on... Its an 09

Ross

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is the audio warranty extension cover all GTR's even if they were bought private as mine sounds terrible esp when its the radio whats on... Its an 09

Ross
09 like mine, its 2015 so it's ran out chief. Chron

·
Registered
371 Posts

Ross
I don't think it was the sound which was the problem, when I had my MY09 the volume used to jump all over the place and it would select different tracks from the hard drive from time to time.

That got replaced as did the speedo and the steering lock.

It had '8,000 miles' and just had a big service and alignment before that dozy bint wrote it off, loved that car.

Anyhoooo, looking forward to my stage 4.25 upgrades on the 'new' MY11 at Slys next week (it feels like christams is a few days away).

Why not talk with a friendly NHPC and ask about a good will gesture on the stereo?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts