GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick one this...

I've got some condensation on the inside of my left rear indicator/reversing lights. It always seems to be there regardless of the weather, and is only present on one side. It's one of those small niggles that is getting on my nerves :)

Obviously fixing it would involve somehow getting the lens off and refitting it ensuring this time that it's sealed properly.

Anyone know if this is a job I can do relatively simply myself? Or would I be better off taking it to a garage to get done?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Durzel,
Have you tried Silica Gel, You know the stuff that is sometimes packed inside Electrcal goods(Small sealed envelopes). I did this once on a Silvia Rear Light that always had condensation in it, and this cured it. I think that you can buy it from Chemists and DIY Stores. Worth a try.

PaulP.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Presumably I would need to get the lens apart to actually put this silica gel inside (I think I know what you mean, the sachets you normally get with computer hardware, etc).

Either way I would have to take the left hand rear cluster apart wouldn't I?... or is there a blindingly obvious method I am overlooking?

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest, I haven't yet checked to see how its all constructed. I was kinda hoping someone could tell me whether or not it was a single unit, or seperate bits.. or something.

I'll get me coat.

Incidentally, congrats on the purchase - what a beast of a car! I look forward to seeing it at a meet sometime, or if you're ever in the Trowbridge area give us a shout :)

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
OK Durzel here goes,

The water will have got into the light form the drain chanel being bunged up with muck, and the sealant used tends to fail in our climate anyway. Your boot floor will likely be a bit wet, check the well that the spare sits in.

It is a one piece unit and it is rather difficult to remove because of the sticky sealant stuff that Nissan used at assembly.

If you remove the panel inside the boot by poping out all the little cllips so you can see where the bulbs all fit etc. you will notice that there are 5 nuts holding the assembly in place (from memory so maybe wrong, 2 at the topside of the cluster, three at the bottom). Remove all the nuts and then using some force but being very careful at the same time push the cluster towards the rear of the car. This is not easy and you may find you want to use some sort of lever to get the cluster moving. once you have the cluster moving a little you will need to get a long thin blade (filleting knife is ideal) and push it between the cluster and the sticky sealant all the way round in oreder to free it from the body work.

This will allow you to take the light cluster indours and dis-assemble it as much as possible, then dry it out with the wifes hairdryer. You can't get the indicator lense free from the cluster so further dis-assembly may not be worthwhile.

To replace the cluster, you will need some new flexible sealant, Loctite make a bitumastic drain sealant which does a really good job, as it doesn't solidify. DO NOT use silicone, you will never get the cluster out again :mad:

You need to clean all the original sealant away before replacing the cluster, white spirit, a tooth brush, lots of disposable wipes and time will be needed to get rid of it all. Then you just replace the sealant around the cluster, use plenty of it, there is a groove which it can sit in and you will know if you have used enough cos it will ooze out into the boot space when you push the cluster home and tighten up the bolts.

Hope this helps mate, If you need photos of it just let me know, as I have the bootspace open in my car at the moment and can shoot of some digi-pics for you if needed.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You are a star. :)

On initial glance it sounds a lot more complicated than I was expecting it to be, but hopefully I should be ok to have a go at doing it myself.

Incidentally...
Hope this helps mate, If you need photos of it just let me know, as I have the bootspace open in my car at the moment and can shoot of some digi-pics for you if needed.
.. That would be great! I'm not going to attempt to do it now since it doesn't sound like a 5 minute job, and I don't trust myself to get it finished before the light goes, but I would very much appreciate some pics so I can see exactly what I should be looking for.

Thanks again,

Daz

·
Administrator
31,589 Posts
JasonO, funny reading that skylinesdownunder thread, from all those years back when you sounded like a newbie

lol

Just wondered, in that thread, you mention smearing some more sealant around the back of the cluster, where the original sealant can be seen.

Did this offer a temporary fix or did you not give it time and went the whole hog with the cluster removel?

mines leaking exactly as your and many other had and am checking my options,

ta

mook

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
LOL, We're all newbies at some point, but i have this habit of getting involved :D

Putting the sealant around the old stuff on the cluster was a bit of a waste of time, it held up for a few weeks then just started leaking again. :(

·
Administrator
31,589 Posts
JasonO said:
LOL, We're all newbies at some point, but i have this habit of getting involved :D

Putting the sealant around the old stuff on the cluster was a bit of a waste of time, it held up for a few weeks then just started leaking again. :(

thanks mate, i was a newbie on Puntosports once....

13,000 posts later i moved here :)

I'll redo the whole cluster, if god ever gets round to fixing the leak upstairs!!! ;)

mook

·
Administrator
31,589 Posts
just a quick thanks to Jason for a very helpful guide on how to fix leaking rear clusters.

Did mine yesterday, and although i got absolutly covered in the old sealant, and found myself geting stuck to EVERYTHING!!!

i got all the old stuff off (using autoglym intensive tar remover) and bought a Bitumin based gutter and roof sealant which never goes off.

It seems VERY soft, but i imagine it goes slightly harder over time.

But, i did it exactly as jason said and i'm going to let god test it this afternoon for me. :D

Agreat resource this place, and in light of some of the conflict lately, i really hope i have'nt joined at the Forums peak, and hope this place goes on for many years yet.

thanks again

Mook

·
Registered
371 Posts
Mookistar said:
i was a newbie on Puntosports once....13,000 posts later i moved here :)mook

13,000 posts about puntos :eek: 12,999 about ferrous oxide ?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Mookistar said:
Agreat resource this place, and in light of some of the conflict lately, i really hope i have'nt joined at the Forums peak, and hope this place goes on for many years yet.Mook

no mook you havn't joined at it's peak, there appear to be long standing issues with more senior members, but the crop of newer members will keep things going as the old guard move away to pastures new, and us newer members need this type of forum to keep our cars rolling, don't get disheartened by the conflict it's bound to blow over

1 - 17 of 17 Posts