GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I am in the process now of deciding between three different turbo options. The 2530's which everyone uses, the HKS RS turbos, and the Greddy T517Z's w/ .8cm housing.

After doing much research and deliberation I had decided on the T517Z's for a few reasons. While I realize they are oil cooled and not water cooled, with a proper oil cooling setup, you should not have any issues with them. Also not being ball bearing you eliminate turbo shuffle, can maintain the low mount manifold, and have a bit more power than the 2530s. Anyway, my goal is 600WHP or 448KW, whichever measurement you use.

When reading up on the UK boards about the Greddy T517Z's the guys over there are making an EASY 600+WHP with the proper supporting mods. However reading the AU boards I see guys struggling to get into the 530+ WHP range. I am just trying to figure out why the discrepancy? I mean they are the same turbos, so why the drastic difference. Also let me say I am not talking about 1 or 2 guys, I mean the majority of the people using the Greddy T517Z's. Hell in the UK they look at these things like they are the truth, superior to the HKS 2530s.

I am just trying to find out what the real deal is before I invest in a turbo setup that will not get me to my goals. Any information you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thx.

-Sayajin

·
Registered
717 Posts
i cant comment on the question it self but the oil runs through the turbo the same as any other roller bearing or not and is there to lubricate the bearing as well as cool. Water cooling is only an additional jacket for the water to flow through and i doubt you will find anything special about the way the oil cools the turbo

·
Registered
440 Posts
T517Z's are good for 600bhp at the fly.not whp. the 3230's are good for 640bhp at the fly not whp. the GT-RS are good for 800bhp at the fly so go for them if you want nearer 600whp

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
T517Z's are good for 600bhp at the fly.not whp. the 3230's are good for 640bhp at the fly not whp. the GT-RS are good for 800bhp at the fly so go for them if you want nearer 600whp
Where do you get your info from ???? :)

·
Banned
11,494 Posts
When reading up on the UK boards about the Greddy T517Z's the guys over there are making an EASY 600+WHP with the proper supporting mods. However reading the AU boards I see guys struggling to get into the 530+ WHP range. I am just trying to figure out why the discrepancy?
:chuckle:

Your dynos appear highly optimistic, having compared graphs on the internet over several years. Either that, or ours are highly pessimistic.

In general if you take your wheel hp readings and call them flywheel hp, then they match up.

Here's a chart showing the T517s. Funnily, a single one is rated at 380bhp but 2 are rated at 600bhp???:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
OH NO ..... A TURBOCHART :rolleyes:

T517z's have been known to make 680 flywheel hp :) (UK and Japan)

Not easily , thats about their limit .

Mine are making 600hp (fly) at lowish boost
(no headwork other than stage 1 cams)

Gez is making 630hp (fly) at the same boost with more headwork

Does 680fwhp / 600whp with 1.8 bar & more mods sound unreasonable ??????

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info guys. It appears that the T517Z's will not be sufficent for my goals.... Alas, time to start the turbo search all over again.

Now I need to find a twin turbo setup capable of putting out 600WHP that is still relativley responsive and sutible for street purposes. Any suggestions? Looking at the above graph either the HKS RS, Greddy T518, or Greddy T618 will be necessary in order to achieve this. Out of the three which one do you guys prefer for HP and response?

-Sayajin

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Depends whether he meant wheels or hubs? I'm guessing he meant wheels.

I wish people would use different notation for hubs. It isn't 'whp' because you doen't have any wheels on.
Only problem with that is over here in the states, where I am, you DO have wheels on. lol. Thats the reason I use whp, however I suppose I should convert to what you guys use since I am on your boards.... what would the proper terminology be?

-Sayajin

·
Banned
11,494 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. It appears that the T517Z's will not be sufficent for my goals.... Alas, time to start the turbo search all over again.

Now I need to find a twin turbo setup capable of putting out 600WHP that is still relativley responsive and sutible for street purposes. Any suggestions? Looking at the above graph either the HKS RS, Greddy T518, or Greddy T618 will be necessary in order to achieve this. Out of the three which one do you guys prefer for HP and response?

-Sayajin
Do you mean wheels or hubs? Sorry for going on, but as JAY mentioned 600whp(hubs) is about 680hp(flywheel). 600whp(wheels) is about 800hp(flywheel). If the latter, then the Trust T618s, HKS GT-RSs or GT2835s may be better. But GT-RSs do suffer shuffle on stock capacity from what's been posted on here. There's also the T04Z single option.

·
Banned
11,494 Posts
Only problem with that is over here in the states, where I am, you DO have wheels on. lol. Thats the reason I use whp, however I suppose I should convert to what you guys use since I am on your boards.... what would the proper terminology be?

-Sayajin
There is no proper terminology here - we just confuse the crap out of each other constantly.:D I figured you meant 'wheels' because I know most dynos over there seem to be actual wheel-dynos, thus:

I'm guessing he meant wheels.
;)

Anyway, you're looking at 800hp(flywheel), so 517s are unlikely to be enough.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks a lot for the help man. Yes I am referring to the actual wheels.

Humm... well I want to stay away from the GT-RS like the plauge then..... dont want to deal with shuffle. What twin turbo setup would you guys recommend for 600WHP? Preferably bolt on of course. :smokin:

-Sayajin

1 - 20 of 22 Posts