GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well done guys, just saw on the news your successful blind land speed record attempt :bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1: Both cars looked great!

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Congrats on your fine achievement

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Great achievement

·
Vendor
787 Posts
Thanks!

Congratulations to Mike who achieved his lifelong dream by reaching 201mph (200.9mph but I think we can round up), setting a new world land speed record for a blind driver in the process :) For us it has been one of the hardest challenges that we have undertaken but it was nothing compared to the bravery that Mike showed throughout :bowdown1:

We actually did a lot of testing on the days leading up to the event but nothing quite prepared us for how difficult it would be. The first shakedown run I did in the car at low boost saw it hit over 200mph by halfway and was incredibly stable so I rather naively thought it would be straight forward :chuckle:

However the only way to get a safe high speed run with Mike driving was to set off gently to around 150mph whilst ensuring that he remained central on the runway. I was driving the chase car with his step-father giving instructions over the radio and I have to say I bottled it a few times as Mike started move across the runway and had to give the signal to slow down. It wasn't helped by a strong wind in one direction that would literally move the cars 10m left or right with gusts.

By the time we got to around 150mph Mike was around halfway down the 1.9mile runway so it meant the window in which to get to 200mph became very limited and certainly added to the tension! Once we were happy that he was in the correct position he was able to unleash the full power of the car. The rules dictate that the speed must be held for around 200 metres which greatly shortened the braking distance. Trying to control the car, watch Mike and my GPS speed was interesting to say the least and we had to leave plenty of room to help bring the car to a controlled stop well before the end of the runway.

On the media day Mike achieved 197mph in one direction and 204mph heading back to the waiting TV crews and it was decided to quit while we were ahead! :)

It was an honour to be asked to help and I can't thank all of the Team here enough for their hard work! :)

We have been doing lots of different interviews today, we even had Fox News in the US call. We have sent out a full press release and will post more information about the even and our GTRs on our website and Facebook pages as well. This record has certainly helped give Mike's charity a lot of world-wide attention and for more information on Speed Of Sight visit Speed of Sight - www.speedofsight.co.uk.

We look forward to taking the RS on more track events soon...

Regards

Iain

Below are a few pictures from the day.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Congrats to all involved, 200mph blind, that takes some balls!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts