GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an R32 gtr vspec 2 with de cat, hard pipes, intercooler, oil cooler but otherwise pretty much standard.. It runs about 0.8bar at the moment with the standard boost solenoid/setup..
I'm really after a bit more grunt and am thinking of getting the turbo's changed(to standard size with steel internals), upping boost to between 1.1 and 1.2 bar and keeping everything else standard. This should be safe shouldn't it?

Has anyone had this done - if so whats it like?? think it should give around 380bhp and certainly make it feel a lot more lively:clap:

I know this sort of question is asked a lot but would like to hear from folk that have had it done..

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Been there, done that.

I ran 1.2 bar with everything else stock(apart from a re-map+turbos like you mention) and it was good.

And yes, it is loads faster.:squintdan :squintdan

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
To be honest you do not want to run anymore than 1.0bar of boost on standard turbos as they wont last very long and could cause you alot of grief and end up spending alot of money to fix the problem!!!!

I had an R34 GTR and had my boost set at 1.0bar even though I was told R34 turbos would handle 1.15bar of boost!!!

Hope this helps you (this is just my opinion and I'm sure others will give you theirs)!!

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
R32 combat,
thanks for that. It's great to know it'll feel a lot quicker:clap: ..I'll just get a boost controller but leave the fueling/map standard.. been told this is ok.. Did you have any reliability issues once you had it done??

GtrNick - def going to change the turbo's:) Wouldn't try running the stock ones past a bar after some of the stories i've read on here:bawling:

Cheers,
Sam

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I say go for the R34 turbo if you can find them... They normally float around £400-500 depending on condition.

You can run 1.15 bar on these standard, but it will spool way earlier than the standard R32 turbo with steel internal. With a set of Tomei Poncam you can get about 480bhp out of these turbos...

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
If you run 1.2bar, you WILL need a re-map. Purchase yourself a Apexi Power Fc ECU and get it mapped properly.

Everything else is more that reliable enough, although you will be right on the injector and AFM limit. I think I was running 100% injector cycle @1.2 bar and about 5v with the AFM. It was a while ago now but I'm sure thats about right. I needed bigger injectors running 1.3 bar, thats for sure, I might have needed them for 1.2bar, like I say, I can't remember exactly. But with the PFC, you can see these limitations without breaking anything...

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I would agree, find a decent set of R34 GTR turbos and go for 1.15 bar..

Bono has some low mileage ones in his garage for sale, £500 with elbows from memory.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
You will be on the limit of the STD clutch too, so thats something worth thinking about.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I put on standard R34 turbos, £300 from Abbey, with boost controller and remap it was the best thing i`ve ever done, abslutely love it. The turbo`s start to spool up at 2100rpm.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replys chaps;)

Unfortunately, i'm going to have to forget changing the turbo's as i hadn't budgeted for ecu +remap.. Spoke to Marc at abbey and he suggested going for an hks fcon thingy, boost controller and remap to .9bar. That way i'll be in budget(just) and have a good base for future mods as i'd like to go as far as is safe on standard engine internals.

Clutch wise, i'm sure my clutch will be ok at .9bar (it's not standard i don't think) but if it fails are there any other proven clutches apart from os giken??

I'm quite excited!! :GrowUp:

Think i'll still find the car quite sluggish at .9 bar but will just have to save pennies for some new turbos, injectors, clutch etc etc:chuckle:

Musn't count my chickens tho, be just my luck to get the car booked in and find it needs lots of other things doing first:puke:

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
IMHO, don't get a HKS Fcon. They are too much money for what you need..

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Andy, it depends if it and FConS or FConV pro, doesn't it? I'd say the S is like a PowerFC.

As I said before my car makes ~380 at 1bar so you should be close to your original target.

Your clutch should be OK at those power levels, athough budget for a replacement in the next 12months or so. I have Nismo one which is great.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
I'm just thinking of price and who can map it. PFC wins every time..

·
Registered
234 Posts
Had steel turbos, PFC etc installed on my car a few months back running 1.2 bar and its like driving a different car, car pulls so well even at the top end.

Im thinking of getting new injectors, maybe djetro too, would i be able to run 1.3 bar on the standard headgasket or is that a bit risky??

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
I has a steel head gasket fitted to mine, but poeple have run 1.3 bar on the STD head gasket without any problems. It's very expencive to get a head gasket fitted in a garage. It's many hours work..

3,665 Posts
But does your Power Fc still let you have diagnostics , proper closed loop lambda, limp home etc etc

We can argue forever , I know what I like I did offer the customer a Power FC if he wanted but the ability to run over the AFM max volts and still be able to map the car spot on will help, no need to buy expensive bigger AFM,s.

I got my fire extinguisher ready for the flames....lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts