GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so prejudices aside over which 'looks' better, if you were building a GTR with the intention of racing it, which model would you go for and why?

I am mulling over going back into racing this time in a GTR....:popcorn: I have my eye on a series that I could enter a 500bhp or so tuned car, nothing too mad!

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
The R34 looks better in full race trim because IMO it looks so agressive.

But the R32 would be my choice because it's got to be easier to start with a car that starts off smaller and lighter?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
The R34 looks better in full race trim because IMO it looks so agressive.

But the R32 would be my choice because it's got to be easier to start with a car that starts off smaller and lighter?
Never driven an R32 or an R33. But, from what I've read on here the R32 all day long. However, Chris Wilson (remember him?) had a superbly setup R33, so he might be worth while speaking too. He tracks it a lot as well.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I would personally go for an R33 as the longer wheel base would be an advantage and you can pick them up cheap. Strip out all the interior, fully seam welded,get a full cage fitted also pick up on the front suspension points, Ikeya formula arms, R35 brakes, twin -9 turbos full engine build, data logger with dash, getrag 6 speed conversion, brake cooling ducts, gearbox, diff, transfer box coolers. You get the idea and would be fast on track.

·
Registered
618 Posts
The one with the longest wheelbase.

But then again, it depends on the curcuit layout!

Small karting track, short wheelbase.
Long fast turns, longer wheelbase.

Ask Huffy about the short wheelbase Granta, compared to the longer wheelbase of the Cruze or C'Elysee.

·
Super Moderator
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Rust scares me a bit on the R32. Would be hard getting something that didn't need repair first I think. Mind you all of them are a bit like that.

Perhaps I should also be considering a Cat C or D R35?

·
Administrator
31,883 Posts
32's rust less than 33's but cost more initially. i'd say the 33 is the best for cost/performance

Mike

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts
Never driven an R32 or an R33. But, from what I've read on here the R32 all day long. However, Chris Wilson (remember him?) had a superbly setup R33, so he might be worth while speaking too. He tracks it a lot as well.
Wasn't it converted to just rear wheel drive though?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
The one with the longest wheelbase.

But then again, it depends on the curcuit layout!

Small karting track, short wheelbase.
Long fast turns, longer wheelbase.

Ask Huffy about the short wheelbase Granta, compared to the longer wheelbase of the Cruze or C'Elysee.
Unless your racing on Micky mouse sprint or go kart tracks then you may have a disadvantage - most uk tracks would suit the R33 well Brands Hatch, Silverstone, Rockingham, Oulton Park, Croft.

Besides the R33s are going cheap so why not?

·
Super Moderator
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm in no rush, so might sit back and see what car turns up that fits the bill, ideally with a built engine. I shall ponder!
After what I've spent on my R34 seems criminal to track it (yes I know they are built to drive, but still!)

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm in no rush, so might sit back and see what car turns up that fits the bill, ideally with a built engine. I shall ponder!
After what I've spent on my R34 seems criminal to track it (yes I know they are built to drive, but still!)
Seems criminal to baby it after all the effort!

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Wasn't it converted to just rear wheel drive though?
RK Tuning's car (R32) is also running rear wheel drive only due to regs changing in the races they do.

Apparently losing the 4x4 weight has actually made the car faster on some tracks I believe.

·
Super Moderator
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So perhaps I should be looking at a GTS-T then?

·
Super Moderator
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah nice car, but unfortunately think it's a bit too modified for the series I have in mind.

·
Super Moderator
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, even forged engine examples on ebay for decent money!

·
Super Moderator
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh yeah can see it now. It's a thought.:)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts