GTR Forum banner

Considering selling my stage 4 GT-R - but how much?

3K views 47 replies 17 participants last post by  JapFreak786 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, after almost 2 years of very enjoyable ownership, it is approaching sale time. The car in my mind is almost flawless and very versatile in that I was able to enjoy it with both my kids in the back. Kids are now 4 and 2 and space behind my seat is just not enough for comfort plus the boot not big enough for the longer trips. So now considering an RS6 for the practicality but retaining some of the thrill.

What I don't know is what is a realistic number to aim for when advertising. I'd rather not put it back to standard as I feel it is pretty perfect as it is. I'd be really grateful for some suggestions on price as haven't been around on the forum in a while, so don't know what similarly specced cars have been sold for.

Spec is:
  • '59 Reg MY09 DMG Premium with HDD Nav, rear sensors/camera, bluetooth etc
  • 34.5k miles (I am the third owner and had it since 23k miles)
  • Service history Nissan up to 23k miles and since then Litchfield and Kaizer motors
  • Stage 4 Litchfield upgrade (air intakes, Miltek Y-pipe and rear exhaust section, 1100cc Bosch injectors, ECUtek custom mapped by Ian with latest versions around a month ago)
  • Litchfield Bellhousing - absolutely no vibrations or issues with this as opposed to the useless Nissan solution
  • Gearbox Circlips
  • Full Litchfield suspension upgrade and antiroll bar (fitted a month ago)
  • Brakes are all essentially brand new with new AP discs and pads in November (less than 2k miles ago) and tyres are MPSS with 5+ mm tread left all-round.

Any thoughts on how to price would be welcome.

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
Thanks CT, good starting point. Hadn't seen that advert. The ebay car I think is a non-sat nav version and slightly older with more miles but the main difference as you say is the suspension.

So £38k+ may be doable. The ambitious part of me is thinking up to £40k given there will be nil extra for the new owner to pay but that may be advert price rather than final sale price.

#4 ·
As you say a nicely set up car for the next owner especially the suspension and circlips. You have some 10ks worth of extras there

If it was my car I would advertise it for £42,995 and see how it went.

#9 · (Edited)
Priced right it will sell quickly,the problem I think is "average" folk don't know how good the Litchfield kit is, these more are etc and they see bhp figures only and what it feels like to drive.

Needs to be priced right to get the interest, and a good amount of photos. There are numerous new posters here wanting a GTR.
My Autotrader ad had 19 pics of my M3 that sold within 4 days of listing, maybe worth getting some done by a friend with an SLR or who knows how to shoot pictures properly.

#10 ·
Priced right it will sell quickly,the problem I think is "average" folk don't know how good the Litchfield kit is, these more are etc and they see bhp figures only and what it feels like to drive.

Needs to be priced right to get the interest, and a good amount of ph
Indeed. Pitch a car too high, and no interest. Too low, and it can stigmatise it.

You need to tune out the sameheads that think their car is worth more than it is, just because they now own one. You see this alot across the forums

The cars are too expensive and should be cheaper when they are trying to buy one, then all of a sudden they've gone up 5 grand once theyve bought it. :chuckle:

Simpletons

#14 ·
My view would be to remove the suspension and sell that separately - that gets you the greatest value for the mod and reduces the price of the GT-R to the price point that others are looking to pay.
The pre my10 (12 in the vin) isn't that desirable.

Why are you selling a month after having the suspension swapped - that will set some bells ringing with a number of potential buyers?

#18 ·
Thanks guys, useful info so far. I have thought about removing the suspension but it's a shame as the car is far better with it. I don't know how much a nearly new Lichfield kit would go for and the labour is in the £600 mark I believe.

In terms of the why sell a month after a suspension upgrade, it was a toss up of either keep the car and mod to the 800-850 mark or go for something new. I know I'll miss it terribly as I adore it but it really annoys me having my 2 year old really squashed behind my seat and the kids seem to require more and more things (bikes, scooters etc) which simply don't fit when going on longer trips. This problem seems to have exacerbated in the last 2 months or so hence the thoughts of sale. Yes I admit it was silly getting the suspension installed so recently only to decide now to sell. However I'd be selling in May most likely just after the next service.

#19 ·
Even at £600 to swap suspension I reckon you'll still claw more back.

Thanks for info Henry, I'm surprised by your thoughts. I know there's an additional NA a duct underneath but didn't expect anything more than a slight improvement.

If bothered I'd buy the different panel from a broken car.

#21 ·
I suppose the other option when the time comes is to give it to Rs direct or see if Iain will advertise to sell. The benefit with the latter is I could pay for a year's warranty as he knows the car and the new buyer would feel even more confident in the purchase. Haven't enquired on the fees of either though.

#25 · (Edited)
Nissan Press release re MY2010 changes: - Sat Nav Screen changes from VGA (640x480) to Wide VGA (typically 800x480)

Changes to the 2010 Nissan GT-R European Spec (EU)

Production of GT-R Model year 2010 will start from December 09. This will bring some small changes in the technical features and appearance of the car.

Changes in the performance

As a result of complying to Euro 5 emission certification level the CO2 emissions will be slightly lowered to 295g/km and the combined fuel consumption will be 12.5 l/100km. The change will not however affect the maximum power output of the car. Please note that these figures are pending the final European homologation that should be done in December 09.

Changes in the technical features

Suspension

By changing the front spring and damper rates, the ride comfort is improved, while handling becomes even more dynamic thanks to improved responsiveness and more accurate control of suspension movements. At the rear, the stiffness of the suspension radius rod bushings has been
increased, giving improved feel and responsiveness during cornering.

Cooling

To improve cooling around the rear of the car, two additional NACA cooling ducts have been added to the carbon fibre underfloor diffuser which will provide additional cooling to the exhaust and gearbox. Furthermore, a new, larger diameter pipe connecting the oil cooler will reduce gearbox temperatures.

Transmission

The logic controlling torque distribution between the front and rear axles when the GT-R is manoeuvring at low speeds just after start-up, when fluids are cold, has been altered to reduce rear-axle ***8216;binding***8217;. Furthermore, the logic in the gearbox has been changed to give a later downshift from 6th to 5th when being driven in automatic mode, but a more aggressive downshift pattern is adopted when changing down from 4th to 3rd and from 3rd to 2nd gear. Another small, but significant update has been to the front transmission mount, which has been stiffened, reducing vibration through the driveline under high-load conditions.

Brake system

The balance of the electonic brakeforce distribution bias has been moved slightly rearwards, giving greater braking stability in dry conditions, while a change in design of the rear brake cross spring has reduced noise and a modified air deflector increases rear brake cooling.

Battery

The battery capacity has improved from 45 Ah for 20 hour to 52 Ah for 20 hour, which also increased the battery weight by 500g.

Other changes

Wider navigation screen (from VGA type to wide VGA)

Gun metallic finish added around speedometer and rev counter

Darker finish to Nissan & GT-R emblems and wheel centre caps

Double clear coat on front and rear bumpers (previously single coat) giving a deeper colour finish

Head rests shape changed slightly

Additional rear seat insulation for improved noise and vibration inside the vehicle

#30 ·
What I think happened though is that some '59 MY09s received the MY10 HDD Nav screen systems. Certainly comparing mine to any other MY10/11+ GTR I have seen, there is no difference in screen size or resolution. I'm a massive PC geek and have a variety of different resolution panels at home including a 4k display so I'd like to think I'm quite sensitive to changes in res, hence I'd notice.

Re: the remaining changes, fair enough and I had heard about those to be fair. When speaking to Iain Litchfield though about MY09 vs MY10 cars prior to purchasing my car, his view was the differences are negligible. Differences between the MY10 and MY11 though are vast in comparison.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.