GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

I'm a newbie to this forum. I'm considering a tuned R32 Skyline GTR as my next performance car.

I currently drive a Westfield SeIW with just over 300 bhp per tonne. I'm looking to advance upon that to a car of 400+ per tonne.

I did think about a tuned Impreza or Lancer but I figure the Skyline GTR's are better suited to taking greater power both by engine and chassis? Can anyone compare or comment.

I don't know much about Skyline GTR's, I've had look around this site info seems good. I'd like to know if the GTR's have any inherent faults or engineering problems which repeatedly present themselves?

I'm looking to use the car around 3K miles per year, no track usage. I have a fair amount of mechanical sympathy, and don't intend on driving the car ten tenths everywhere. But I'm worried that a 600-700 bhp GTR will require engine rebuilds or refreshes more frequently than I can financially cope with. Is this the case?

ALL info appreciated, many thanks.:D

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Just a few initial thoughts off the top off my head for you, Im sure others will join in.
Standard brakes on an R32 GTR arent the best, (although some seem to get on fine with them). GTR oil pumps seem to be a weak point on the car when you start tuning. Most will go for an uprated one. The rear wheel steering, (HICAS) seems to be a "marmite" love it or hate it thing, allot of people take it off their cars and lock out the rear end with a lock out bar, sort of an upgrade, downgrade if you know what I mean. There have been occasions where the HICAS has done unpredicatable things due to its age.
R32 GTR lights arent great to be honest, but HID kits can be had for very little cost wise.
They are fantastic cars, very addictive once you start tuning them, you wont be sorry, Ive had both Impreza's and Evo's and much prefer the R32 GTR in every way!!!
;)
bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a few initial thoughts off the top off my head for you, Im sure others will join in.
Standard brakes on an R32 GTR arent the best, (although some seem to get on fine with them). GTR oil pumps seem to be a weak point on the car when you start tuning. Most will go for an uprated one. The rear wheel steering, (HICAS) seems to be a "marmite" love it or hate it thing, allot of people take it off their cars and lock out the rear end with a lock out bar, sort of an upgrade, downgrade if you know what I mean. There have been occasions where the HICAS has done unpredicatable things due to its age.
R32 GTR lights arent great to be honest, but HID kits can be had for very little cost wise.
They are fantastic cars, very addictive once you start tuning them, you wont be sorry, Ive had both Impreza's and Evo's and much prefer the R32 GTR in every way!!!
;)
bob
Many thanks for the reply!

This HICAS steering, is this an electronic aid to help with cornering? i.e when one get's it wrong in a bend, throttle applied to quickly etc.?

The GTR's are a 60/40 split favoured to rear bias? Without it one has to becareful on exiting sharp corners I should think. Had an Impreza STi Type-R with the same 60/40 great on track and sweeping bends but not for me on most of my roads round here!:eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

This HICAS steering, is this an electronic aid to help with cornering? i.e when one get's it wrong in a bend, throttle applied to quickly etc.?

The GTR's are a 60/40 split favoured to rear bias? Without it one has to becareful on exiting sharp corners I should think. Had an Impreza STi Type-R with the same 60/40 great on track and sweeping bends but not for me on most of my roads round here!:eek:
Not really planning on tuning. Looking to buy with all of the mods done. Done that before and lost cash.:(

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
GTRs are rwd except when the computer senses loss of traction to the rear,it will then send power to front. No 60/40 split.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GTRs are rwd except when the computer senses loss of traction to the rear,it will then send power to front. No 60/40 split.
Interesting, I see. Nothing to do with this HICAS system then?

So lets say I was too quick with the right foot on exiting a roundabout, the back wouldn't kick out as power is sent up front to balance things?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I haven't tested mine properly, not on roads :thumbsup:. But from what I know (might be wrong) you have to keep your foot planted (some exaggeration) when you feel it kicking out for it to straighten out.

I think if you stop accelerating, rear tyres stop spinning (gets traction) and therefore the attessa wont kick the front wheels into play so you're stuck facing the barrier? I'm still a n00b.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

Hicas on the R32 is hydraulic, so very much mechanical. R33's had electronic Hicas. General consencus is ditch it, this makes the car more predictable and saves a big chunk of weight to boot!!!
:thumbsup:
bob

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Interesting, I see. Nothing to do with this HICAS system then?

So lets say I was too quick with the right foot on exiting a roundabout, the back wouldn't kick out as power is sent up front to balance things?
I've done some searching and kismetcapitan puts it nicely :thumbsup:

kismetcapitan said:
There's a trick in hustling GT-Rs, particularly the R32 with the older, "drag-type" rear subframe, and it's much like the 911 - DON'T LIFT! Countersteer, be awake and on your toes, and when the car straightens out, the fronts kick in and you're out of the corner faster.

I think the idea is that RWD gets you into a corner faster, but AWD gets you out quicker. ATTESA gives you both, but many a GT-R driver gets their tail out and into trouble because in my opinion, they panic and lift before the ATTESA has a chance to engage and save your ass.

There's a certain type of crash on right-hand roads like the US, that seems common among new R32 owners - the back comes out WAY more than expected, and panic only worsens it, and then the car hits a tree or something unforgiving. I personally spun my car a few times in the first week I owned it, fortunately never hitting anything, until I figured out what the car wanted.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
HICAS is the rear wheel steering, nothing to do with the 4WD system, I removed mine as it was playing up due to alternator issues and am very pleased I did, steering feels much more positive.

They're RWD most of the time, except as said, when the rear wheels lose traction, but also other certain times, ie, when under hard acceleration ina straight line etc, (can't rememeber the other times off the top of my head). So yes, you need to keep your foot down if the back end loses traction, then some power will be sent to the front and it'll help pull you round the corner. Don't be fooled into the old misconception that they drive themselves, they're just as easy to crash as any other car.

Only buying advice I'd give is the same as I tell anyone, buy the best you can, not necessarily the best tuned, the amount of people I've seen buy one because it's got this or that done or is xxxbhp and then they've broken is crazy. Skylines can take loads of abuse, as long as they're cared for in equal amounts. Mine gets driven very hard, but oil changes every 3k miles and regular checkups, (usually every week or so it seemed!).
If you buy an uncared for car you better have a very big wallet.

Alex B

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Wise words Alex mate!
;)
bob

·
Registered
798 Posts
iv had an impreza and driven numerous evos and i love them..fast sports sedan.good fun

gtr skyline with 600bhp+ is in anther league..totally different beast.Not to be compared with much else on the road really.They a supercar and when built and tuned correctly there scary..but still remain solid and easy to drive fast.

Buy one..you wont regret it..but as said there not cheap to maintain properly but the rewards are there if you do.

As for the hicas i picked my car up saturday after being off the road fora while.I got lots of bits fitted including dumping the hicas with the new driftworks kit.Im pissed that i didnt do it ages ago.Removing it has transformed the car.The bathurst boys dumped it fora reason:smokin:Hicas blows

Best of luck

·
Registered
178 Posts
If your getting one that's been tuned try and trace the tuning thats been carried out... If it was me personally I would only touch ***** which have been tuned at specific well known garages as it's so easy to tune them wrong...

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
....but oversteer would be avoided yes due to the electronics sorting it out?
you still need to counter steer and balance the throttle correctly, however the attessa system will feed power to the front and help to 'pull' you out

basically the same technique as a rwd car, just you use more throttle and less counter-steer

ideally you want to do your braking a bit earlier so you can 'drive' through the corner, power on. this gives the diffs/4wd system something to work with, and is why it is a bad idea to chicken out halfway through the corner; your grip is partially coming from the power of the engine

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've done some searching and kismetcapitan puts it nicely :thumbsup:
Thanks for that info.

I must say this kind of worries me. I doubt I have the guts to keep on the throttle in such a situation, well certainly on public roads!

Do you find warning understeer appears before the tail breaks loose?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If your getting one that's been tuned try and trace the tuning thats been carried out... If it was me personally I would only touch ***** which have been tuned at specific well known garages as it's so easy to tune them wrong...
Yeah I can imagine if a cheap route is taken, later this will create a large hole in the wallet!!!

There's a few cars in the classifieds I've seen that have been put together by RK Tuning and TR Racing. These seem to be well known tuners. I presume most engines that have been built by these chaps are considered very reliable?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you still need to counter steer and balance the throttle correctly, however the attessa system will feed power to the front and help to 'pull' you out

basically the same technique as a rwd car, just you use more throttle and less counter-steer

ideally you want to do your braking a bit earlier so you can 'drive' through the corner, power on. this gives the diffs/4wd system something to work with, and is why it is a bad idea to chicken out halfway through the corner; your grip is partially coming from the power of the engine
Certianly requires guts and technique. Something to be learnt on a disused airfield.

I presume straight line grip is fine, even with 600-700 bhp?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts