GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having spent much time in the last few weeks poking around with scope & meter at the consult connector in the GTR, and not really getting very far at all, I stumbled across some gem-information out there on the internet.

In particular, some people called the "Nissan Technical e-Group" published a couple of documents describing the protocol & interface specifications, and a (mostly complete) command set and register information.

PLMS developments have published a circuit diagram for an interface to consult, and there's software called "ConZult" (primarily aimed at 300ZX) which can use this interface. Software is pricey though, and not Skyline specific.

Anyway, I took the PLMS circuit diagram and modified it a bit, to make some slight improvements and replace hard-to-come-by components, and created a DIY pcb.

Happily, it worked first time....

153.6 KHz.

For initial testing I used the free version of ConZult- which does hardly anything. It worked fine and I can see real time readouts of lots of signals- AFM voltages, TPS, RPM, Speed, etc etc.

Next steps are to write free, open source software to specifically get at all the Skyline related info.

Plan for further down the line is to create a microcontroller based host with graphic LCD, which can to an extent replicate the functionality of R34's MFD.

I'll keep you posted as the thing develops (if anyone is actually interested that is!!!)

Jon

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Oh my god, someone who has made a DIY PCB work first time. :eek: :) And you were that confident that you didn't even use IC carriers. :D

I never believed it could be done, even my simple LED flasher type circuits had at least one incorrectly orientated component or a short across some IC pins. :rolleyes:

Anyway, well done mate, and best of luck with the rest of the project. You will definitely have some interested customers, (me included), if you can make a thing that lets you monitor interesting stuff like TPS and injector duty etc.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Awesome skills there :smokin:

I tried to make one of those damn things in CDT lessons at school. I was crap then and no doubt I am still crap now :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
Bloody good work Jon. I just use the commander unit to check my sensors :D
I am sure that plenty of people would find the finished unit very useful.
Danny Zaat tried plugging a z conzult into my diagnostic port but it broke the unit :( Still does not seem to have got a skyline one on the market yet,

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I've got a multichecker from Apexi and I get:

Speed, RPM, Injector Util, AFM util, Ignition timing, Power, torque and A/F ratio. The last 3 being calculated from the others.

So you should be able to get this kind of data.

I suppose you can get the other stuff that the PowerFC can get like Water/air Temp, batty voltage, Throttle poss, knock

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Tim, surely your car isn't running an ECCS still with a big single?
Eh? :confused: :D

Its got the factory ECU, (which I'm assuming has some ECCS gubbins inside it :) ), but also a piggyback HKS F-CON S. From this I'm guessing that you could interrogate the Nissan ECU signals using the diagnostic facilities, but perhaps they would not be of much use as the signals are modified by the F-CON S before getting there. :confused:

I dunno, I just wanted more flashy lights and gauges and displays. :D

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
tim b said:
I dunno, I just wanted more flashy lights and gauges and displays. :D
lol :D

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The stuff that is alledgedly available includes the following:-

CAS position (although this isn't so useful in realtime cos the crank spins fairly fast).
Both AFM outputs
Coolant Temperature
Speed
Battery Voltage
TPS
EGT (But I don't think this works on a skyline, I think the EGT sensor is a switch not a proper sensor)
Ign Timing (degrees advance/retard)
AAC valve opening
Injecter pulse time (can be used for duty cycle calculation in real time)
Waste Gate Solenoid opening
Boost Pressure

A bunch of tests, including being able to switch off individual cylinders ("Power Balance" test)
A bunch of HICAS stuff, although it looks unlikely that this can be read at the same time as the rest.

And some more stuff too that is much less interesting.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Gismo

The first post reminded me of the sketch in Waynes World where Garth explains how he will get the signal into Mr Bigs Limo :D

Aint it great there are some clever people on this forum, get to work, I am interested to see the result :)

Andy

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update

I've now got quite a lot of the stuff working with the interface linked to my PC. So i'm beginning to look more into a final product of the embedded variety.

I can create an in-car LCD which performs a bit like an R34 MFD fairly easily. Not content with the regular character LCD modules, I've bought myself a graphic LCD, which is 128 * 64 px, monochrome. But i think it could end up looking really shite. Are there any budding photoshoppists who could come up with some sample designs for a bargraph type readout screen a la R34 ? Here's a pic of the R34 MFD from cem's old car:

But there is another option, which in some ways is a bit easier to implement anyway.

I could use a readily availble embedded computer platform, which has the following specs:- 16 MHz ARM 7 TDMI processor, 240x160 color LCD, stereo sound, 25 Kb memory. What is it? The Gameboy Advance.

The GBA has a serial port, albeit one with silly signal levels. This would require an adjusted interface circuit to consult, but it possible. Then, add Flash cartridge and software, and hey presto, in car display.

Would that be cool? or naff? i can't decide. It certainly wouldn't do anything to shut up the people who say the skyline is a playstation gamers car.

Anyway, more info soon. Am stuck in Germany for next week so not too much will be happening.

Definately interested in peoples samples of possible screen layout, if anyone can be bothered.

Thanks

Jon

1 - 20 of 75 Posts