GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So coming from a long list of cars all manual with gear sticks, currently a Nissan 350Z, i was wondering what the transition is like over to paddle shift, is it an easy transition, do you tend to still find yourself searching to change gear on your left. Without a clutch also is what boggles me, as you still use paddles to change, and without the usual clutch down will feel weird, especially when coming to a halt, does it shift down by itself when you stop at lights, or do you have to paddle down all way through the gears back to 1.

Just getting as much info before i purchase my first GTR :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I chop and change between my gtr and runabout 1.5dci Clio shed. The GTR is very easy to use apart from being big and being built for speed. The gear box is smart, you cant stall it (except if you go backwards, it dosent like that). Even in manual if you forget to change down it will do it for you. For example if you do an emergency break it will shift down automatically. You get used to not having a clutch and paddles after about 50 miles of driving, less maybe. Best thing is to work with the car not against it.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I have a manual 6 speed, an Auto (well, no gears actually as it's electric) and the GT-R.

I find the gearbox in the GT-R very intuitive to use, you dont keeping looking for the gearstick.
Under hard acceleration it shifts through the gears so quickly you don't think about it IMO.

I may get flack for this, but I do still personally slightly prefer a manual.
Yes, I know it would be slower. That's why most high performance cars are going DSG/semi-auto as it's reduces the 0-60mph times.
But it does take more skill and so feel more satisfying when on a track day you get everything right.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Very easy to use. Leave it in auto and you don't do a thing. Have it in manual ( normal mode ) and you have control but it will change gear once up in the higher revs. Manual ( race mode ) and you again have control but I you don't change gear it'll bang off the limiter.

In all modes if you don't do any changing when coming up to lights or junction it will do it for you

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
I love the gearbox on my R35.

Best of both worlds. Auto for things like traffic jams. Paddles the rest of the time. You just got to learn to use them. Easy peasy really.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Like others, I swap and change between cars regularly - in my case, two 6-speed manuals and the GT-R (plus a 5-speed manual van at work!). The GT-R is the first automatic (semi-automatic?) car I've had, but I find the gearbox & paddles very easy to use. I often put it back in auto at traffic lights as I find it annoyingly jerky/clunky when moving away from standstill in manual. I guess I need the 2012 gearbox upgrade!

I don't find it a problem jumping between manuals and then the GT-R - I've never found myself trying to press an imaginary clutch pedal, for example, whereas when I first got a 6-speed car, I did once try to change into 6th gear in my wife's 5-speed car! Having said all that, I would personally still prefer a manual box given a free choice. One time when I find the auto especially annoying is when reversing my car into the garage, up a small incline.

This is a very tricky operation in the GT-R, whereas it's as easy as pie in a manual. This is due to not being able to very gently feather the clutch and move smoothly but slowly backwards in a controlled manner. This is not possible in the GT-R, which only does this in jerks, with much acceleration before it will move at all. It's quite a nerve-wracking process, then I go and do the same manoeuvre in my wife's manual A5 in seconds. Also, I dearly wish you could disable the worthless "parking sensors" at times like these!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts