GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am potentially moving Australia and really want to take my GTR with me. I have spoken to the various bodies and its a relatively simply process but the one thing i am stuck on is converting the digital readouts from m/ph to K/ph. Has anyone done this or know how can do it. I have spoken to Middlehurst but they have implied its a potentially big (unusual) job but are checking.

Help appreciated

·
Premium Member
3,332 Posts
If you have a JDM you can follow the guide below or otherwise you will need a new cluster (Ebay):

NISSAN GTR SKYLINE R35 SPEEDOMETER SPEEDO KMH / MPH GENUINE PART LOOK #389 | eBay

I need to move to the Netherlands over a few month and done my conversion already.

Easy job I have done on mine (JDM):

Put the steering wheel as far as towards you and as lowest as it can.

Remove the hole instrument cluster by taking off the whole driver side and foot panel off.

Disconnect all plugs.

Remove four bolts under the instruments cluster.

Disconnect the instrument cluster

Take the instrument cluster out

It looks like this.

Remove the converter by connecting the pink/purple and blue cable back where it belongs originally.

Cut the red and black one which are connected to the converter off and tape them off. These two cables are needed to give 12V + and - to the converter.

Carefully open the instrument panel and remove the tape on the 'K'.

Now you have got km/h back on it.

As for the trip metre I would ask someone to correct it or leave it.

If you have done it correctly It would look like this.

Speedometre converter:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2009 R35 GTR (USDM), it comes already with m/h speedometer, I am currently living in Kuwait and here they use km/h speedometers, its very confused to convert the speed while driving, and I am not used to it.

I would like to know, from experience, is it possible to buy a JDM speedometer cluster and just use the speedometer dial to keep the English LCD (under the RPM) and my current milage un-effected? (without using the JDM LED back board)

I contacted Nissan Japan, and the told me that the JDM LCD (the orang LCD) shows only Japanese language, even if I changed the language in settings to English. I think they meant, there is no English in settings)

The speedometer here in Nissan Kuwait costs around KWD 653.46 and a used JDM costs KWD 148.51-600, thats something to conceder.

So please let me know if its possible to use just the dial of a JDM speedometer cluster, and keep my USDM back board. I really hope some one tried this to help.

And bay the way, I am already having some back board LED's lights not working, so why not change the dial with new LED's.

Your cooperation is highly appreciated

Regards

Fahad

·
Premium Member
3,332 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2009 R35 GTR (USDM), it comes already with m/h speedometer, I am currently living in Kuwait and here they use km/h speedometers, its very confused to convert the speed while driving, and I am not used to it.

I would like to know, from experience, is it possible to buy a JDM speedometer cluster and just use the speedometer dial to keep the English LCD (under the RPM) and my current milage un-effected? (without using the JDM LED back board)

I contacted Nissan Japan, and the told me that the JDM LCD (the orang LCD) shows only Japanese language, even if I changed the language in settings to English. I think they meant, there is no English in settings)

The speedometer here in Nissan Kuwait costs around KWD 653.46 and a used JDM costs KWD 148.51-600, thats something to conceder.

So please let me know if its possible to use just the dial of a JDM speedometer cluster, and keep my USDM back board. I really hope some one tried this to help.

And bay the way, I am already having some back board LED's lights not working, so why not change the dial with new LED's.

Your cooperation is highly appreciated

Regards

Fahad
Buy a eu speedo cluster that comes with kmh or aussie cluster both display in english.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Buy a eu speedo cluster that comes with kmh or aussie cluster both display in english.
Is it possible to only buy a JDM and use its dial? without the back board of the cluster, instead I use my current back board on the JDM dial, to keep the milage data saved.

is it possible?

Thanks for the fast response.

Fahad

·
Premium Member
3,332 Posts
Is it possible to only buy a JDM and use its dial? without the back board of the cluster, instead I use my current back board on the JDM dial, to keep the milage data saved.

is it possible?

Thanks for the fast response.

Fahad
Open your cluster first to see if its solder or click on the back of the speedo. If its click swap it. But, the motherboard has signals to give to the speedo are those equal?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Open your cluster first to see if its solder or click on the back of the speedo. If its click swap it. But, the motherboard has signals to give to the speedo are those equal?
People are changing LED bulbs when they stop's working, so I thought its click...

Regarding the signal, did you mean the km/h is different than the m/h?

is there a way to check that signal?

·
Premium Member
3,332 Posts
The leds are only replacable by soldering these are not the old skool fittings. Have a try fit the speedo in and calibrate with a gps the speedo

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hello guys,

i want tp pick up the discussion. I have bought a 09 us model want to change the left dashboard only to km and also the mile the car has done to km.

can you help me out

Attachments

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
You can change the speedo to KM's or the MFD to KM's...... you can have a mish-mash of the two as they are independently controlled.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Guys,

I live in Kuwait (middle east) and I have a 2009 US spec GTR, here in Kuwait every sign on the road with km/h and we only used to that, I bought a European cluster from eBay, and when I installed it it triggered the bonnet pop up sign on the cluster.

Now the US version does not have this option, so the endless bonnet canceller does not work cause the system isn't there, is there a way to switch it off? is it possible to take the LED under that sign or it will shut off other sign that is using the same LED?

Regards

Fahad

·
Registered
198 Posts
Fahad,

Think i talk to you about this before!?

With an EU cluster in your car marking "pop up error" becuase the USDM have not this option. I would take out the EU cluster from the car., open that and take of KMH dial and put directly on your USDM cluster and you have milage and OEM cluster in your car still but you have the dial in KMH like the EU one.

Simple and like 5min work to perform.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts