GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
A colleague at work was able to convert his Nissan 200 SX to LPG, what are the options if any to do this on a GTR ?.

regards, Kamil

·
Vendor
496 Posts
Most LPG vaporisers will only really cope with up to a 1/1.1 bar of boost pressure, have done conversions on turbo'd Subaru/Nissan/Evos/Saab/Volvo etc and with modern LPG ecus it is not an issue at all, they are fully 3d mappable and self learning also.

Exceeding 1.1 bar boost, the vaporiser assumes the gas tank is empty (no differential pressure) and auto switches back to petrol anyway (you cannot feel the change) and the car will carry on as normal. Under normal driving and cruising you can still run fine on LPG.

The latest major step forward is using direct injection of the LPG instead of a vaporiser, this negates the issue of boost pressure by having direct tank pressure behind the injector. The problem is the injectors themselves are currently expensive, but this will change. There are companies running 40/50 psi of boost on drag cars making over 1000hp purely on LPG so anything is possible!

·
Registered
781 Posts
lpg

I had my GTST converted to LPG just so I could save to get a GTR...
was good and only lost about 10% in the power but doubled the MPG for the price in petrol....was running only 1 bar boost though with a FMIC and apexi induction kit...

·
Vendor
496 Posts
110 Octane and half the price of petrol, there are advantages!... Most modern car ECUs run off the knock sensors and will actually advance the timing to take advantage of the higher octane, increasing the power output. We are looking at the direct injection for high power turbo cars, currently awaiting a higher rated pump for the liquid gas in tank to complete the system.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I work in nissan dealership, since economic crysis hit us hard, we done a lots of LPG instalation on Nissans ...

I don't know how would VR38 take LPG, but i can tell you that VQ35 are not LPG friendly since higher combustion temperatures, and seen them in service on 20k miles and forward... Neiter one will see 80 000 miles without adjusting valves and service ... in best case you will destroy only catalyst converters ( due higher exhaust temps ) wich are expensive as hell, and valves are in danger. Nothing helped, not flash-lube, not direct injection.

Maybe VR38 would not have those problems since it's a turbo, but imo i would not take any chances with car ot that price tag. Buy Micra instead and drive and use GTR as weekend toy :chuckle:

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
The discussion is about RB26s ( I think)

Nobody on this planet would consider it on a R35 ( or if they do they should be sent to another one ) and I personally beleive the same is mostly true with the earlier models as well

But the above is pretty acedemic -
It is all very well saying this can be done and that can be done but so far AFAIK it hasnt been done yet and that is the point

So until anyone has actually done an LPG conversion on a 400 bhp car and can guarantee the same or close to performance I wouldnt bother posting it should be possible,

You would also need to guarantee engine life which again without a proven documented car on the road is not really possible.

And remember

Nobody buys a gtr with economy in mind the two words dont belong in the same sentance for most people . Not many use them as a first and only car .

So when it has been done and documented over 10,000 miles or so you may get some interest.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The discussion is about RB26s ( I think)

Nobody on this planet would consider it on a R35 ( or if they do they should be sent to another one ) and I personally beleive the same is mostly true with the earlier models as well

well, duno what is this but smells like LPG :D:D

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
well so far all I have only seen a picture and not seen the performance or long term results

So if it can be done to a 35 WITHOUT LOSS OF PERFORMANCE OR ENGINE LIFE I will take it back (FOR 35s)

But doing it successfully to an RB26 , which was the topic after all , isnt the same especially as nearly all are tuned by now.

Added because I replied while zell was also posting

If he is right and it manages only 250 bhp I would call that a joke -

1 - 14 of 14 Posts