GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Take your pick of various turbo timers

HKS, APexi, Blitz etc all do a TT that'll fit into your alarm/immobilzer (I think) and will run for a specific time eg

http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/ttimer.htm

I don't have one as my last 2 miles home is nearly always off boost due to crappy traffic, so I can't recomend a brand.

Cheers

Iain

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
TT

I was thinking about getting one but seeing as i have to do 1/3 mile at tickover to get home I guess i'll save the expense. Then again I always was a sucker for a gadgey!:D Nah, decided i'll leave it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
hi all,HKS do a good tt you can leave the car in gear lock it walk away and you can set it in 30 second stages up to about five mins.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Dino,

I think gear lock is when you leave the car running and if you put it into gear or take the handbrake off it stalls and the imobiliser / alarm goes mad..

I believe they are usually on the handbrake rather than the gears though.

hth
Steve

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Star bq

Hi again,
i have a star bq jobby fitted that can be set manually to whatever you want or runs an automatic feature which sets the time according to temp or something like that?? All i know is that in the auto feature it displays the amount of seconds the car will run for after switch off / alarm set etc. Again this figure changes as you drive (harder /softer etc). How it works in auto i dont know but it saves sitting in the car after driving to let things settle down, just jump out, set the alarm and the timer does the rest.
I too could not see anyway that the car can be left in gear as mine too sets off the alarm if you let the clutch out in gear with the timer on by mistake, oh, and of course stalls!!! All discovered with much embarressment in a sainsburys carpark!!!
Hope this helps

Jason

·
Registered
364 Posts
DCD said:
venners....how can you leave the car in gear with the engine running:confused:
i had one on an mr2 don't know how it worked but you could leave it in gear but there was lots of wires for it perhaps it was some kind of electronic gizmo?it's been along time ago now but i'm sure you could leave it in gear but maybe my grey cells are failing!

·
Registered
194 Posts
HKS TT

That's what I've got on mine

I must say, I find it handy, as if your in a rush to get anywhere, you can set it for 30sec, 1min, 3min or 5min dep on your level of cane, and let the car do the cool down for you.

I never boot the car in the last mile on the way home anyway, but I do find the TT handy if as I say you have been hard on the car and need to get somewhere quick, and don't have time to idle properly.

Andy T.

Ps Venners,

I think your grey matter is falling out mate. Mine's definately stalls if you leave it in gear....;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is a TT necessary?

I've recently bought a GTS-T, not a GTR like you lads - I don't know how you afford the insurance (but that's a different question) - I know practically nothing about these cars really except that I like them a lot!

Is it likely I will run into trouble without a TT, what would be the result of not allowing the turbo to cool down enough?

Secondly how much do these things cost to fit

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Just drive it gently for the last few miles of your journey and then let it tick over while you get yourself sorted (remove seatbelt, gather belongings, etc) before switching off.

If you don't allow the turbos to cool down properly you can end up with baked oil blocking up the oilways and this eventually leads to turbo failure.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
If you have a Clifford alarm a TT can be added to it, thats what I did with mine. As it's not legal to leave a car with the engine running so really TT aren't legal :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Legality Issues

Not a problem it the car's on private property however! ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts