GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys.

i have a doubt i would like your help with.

i have met a friend over work, today, that has bought an r34 gt-r with a tuned rb26dett.

we started talking as we had a common friend that knew that i also had a gt-r. he even invited for what was my first run on an r34.

the thing is, he is not so slick typing english, so he asked me for my assistance.

i think there maybe something wrong with his car as what happens in his, doesnt happen in mine.

he complained, that after driving 100+kms a bit on the fast side, his oil catch tank had a small bit of coolant. enough to fill the lower bottom (about 5cl?).

i said, that the only thing i could think of, was head gasket. but we could enlighten further, by easy annalisys.

i removed the oil fill cap and there was no mayonese resulting of the mixture of oil and coolant.

then we took the rad cap off and there were no evidences of any oil in the coolant. after that we checked the oil dipstick and again we couldnt see any evidencies of coolant in the oil (but maybe this is impossible to check by doing only this).

lastly i took the plumbing from the catch can (his setup is a bit like mine, turbo to valvecover port, blocked, pcv port blocked, and both valvecovers venting to a single custom catch tank) and kept my hand in the exit with the engine running and the only thing i felt was a "soft breeze". there was no air blowing heavily.

he has a tomei oil pump, an n1 waterpump and is running 2.8 trust kit with hks t04z. he car pulls really good. there is no smoke.

do you have ay idea what can be causing this?

is it something to worry about?

if you guys can help, he would be very appreciated, as so would i.

thanks for your time.

cheers

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i forgot to say that he also has an hks (or trust, cant recall) metal head gasket.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi mate.

he told me it was greenish. altough, all i could see was water vapour in the pipings.

altough he said that it was not transparent but a more greenish colour

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Sounds like water vapour to me and not coolant.
The water probably isn't going to be clear anyways, not when it's blowby from the engine... ;)

·
Registered
663 Posts
RB Engines breath alot and could easily fill up a catch tank in a few months. In both of my previous R33GTR they both breath a lot and I would empty properbly 1/2 pint of water every few months. there is nothing wrong with the engine as i have had mappings and knock sensors etc etc wired up during a mapping section just to make sure the engine is ok and the mapper say there is no propblem at all to the engine.

Leon.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks a lot for the info guys.

precious stuff. sure it should be peace of mind to him.

what i felt it was strange, is that he said that it wasnt brownish or blackish. he said it was clearly of green colour. and it appeared after 100kms.

i even thought the probability of a head fissure, but that would cause mayonese underneath the valve covers.

maybe he should take a look once in a while in the coolant level, altough, if he loses 10cl in 100kms, he would have to do loads of kms to be able to see it in the level.

i will tell him not to clean the catch cans and when he does some more kms, we will take them off and show you some pics.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
It's most likely condensation. Oil catch tanks often have a bit of water in from the same effect. Check with an Antifreeze tester if still in doubt.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks miguel.

just told the man to buy it.

i posted something, asking what exactly does it do, but it somehow disappeared.

does it measure the glychol concentration/efficiency?=

does it show oil presence in coolant?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats what i thought.

i told him to buy the coolant tester and also a compression tester.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
Coolant tester will tell what sort of concentration of Alcohol there is. If none, then there would be no indication of a failure. If he's not losing any coolant - then it's unlikely there's a problem.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Coolant tester will tell what sort of concentration of Alcohol there is. If none, then there would be no indication of a failure. If he's not losing any coolant - then it's unlikely there's a problem.
miguel if he is loosing a little bit of coolant say over every 200kms, in your opinion do you think its major worry ?

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
miguel if he is loosing a little bit of coolant say over every 200kms, in your opinion do you think its major worry ?
If he were, then he should investigate and find out why before a larger problem develops.

Doesn't sound as if there's such a problem though. Most likely just condensation. I get it in my car's catch tanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts