GTR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking at uprating my intercooler with copper brass unit made identical to my original one but twice as thick! ive been told it will weigh slighly more than a aluminium unit are there any other disadvantages?

please comment:smokin:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Intercooler...

Copper and brass weigh roughly the same as (stainless or garden) steel...aluminium is a third of the weight, and titanium's around half that of steel....can give more accurate figures if needs be?

I assume (I'm no engineer) that the relative weights may be accounted for by the need to bolster the thickness up on the ali if it's a stress-bearing bit (poss double that of steel for example).

Used to work on metals distribution, so I'm just going on what customers used to tell me...it was a while ago now...

HTH

Martin

·
Registered
166 Posts
Should be an excellent conductor of heat (much better than aluminium), I made a charge cooler out of copper for my calibra turbo and it took 1 sec off the 1/4 mile time (14.7s -> 13.7s) simply due to the lower air temps.
It did however weigh a lot, I would expect an intercooler size one to weigh at least twice as much as the equivalent aluminium item if not more.

Good luck,
Mike.

ps If you do it I would like to see it as i'm in Birmingham also.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts