GTR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I fitted an Apexi Induction kit to our R34 GTT, it seems to... well, it don't feel right. :rolleyes:

The only way I can describe it is that it feels like it's stuttering it's way up the revs when you boot it. The power comes and goes completely randomly. I've also noticed that take-off speed is suffering and I'm convinced that fuel economy has plumeted.

So here's my theory based on some stuff i've read... the increased airflow provided by the Apexi is telling the ECU to over-fuel in order to compensate and not run lean. As a result, the car's choking on it's own fuel? Resulting in crappy economy, jerky performance?

What do you think, could I be right? :confused:

If so, can you suggest a cheap solution? I heard if I put some Iridium plugs in there that could help?

Certainly can't afford any kind of ECU or power FC etc. and it would be a shame to get rid of the Apexi and go back to completely standard :bawling:

Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated! :bowdown1:

·
Administrator
31,885 Posts
erm, this may not be the same problem, but i had new elbows and steel turbo's fitted yesterday, and the improved flow has caused a small misfire at low RPM.

the solution is a power FC, but in the meantime, disconnecting the lambda's has cured it

fuel consumption might increase, but rich is better than lean

maybe the same issue?

mook

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
May be a similar problem I guess yeah. Does the car run with lambda's disconnected? I'd have thought the computer would say n'ah?

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
Had a GTT for nearly 2 years ,stage 1 mods ,whats your set up ,? just Airfilter ,have you standard exhaust,you running with a cat ,downpipes standard etc.If you have a problem and it is the filter it will be worse when it's colder .Always found slightly modded GTT's bit unpredictable ,set up needs to be spot on .Plugs, coils packs ,fuel filter ,2 stage boost problems ,is it mainly at about 5000 revs when you floor it?

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Rather than being rich, it's likely lean and the ecu is retarding the ignition due to detecting knock.

Have the fueling checked, before you damage it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Erm - I don't like the sound of that :(

Who's this a job for? Abbey?

Stealth - exactly that mate, running everything completely standard bar the Apexi. The problems actually feel more like sub 5000 revs actually, the power seems to kick in properly about then.

Thinking I may have to put the standard setup back in at this rate - it's not worth spending anything on when the Apexi only cost a few quid and doesn't have a positive effect anyway (without further mods).

3,666 Posts
Jono/Emma

Sounds like a AFM fault or maybe a dodgy Lambda.

the solution is a power FC, but in the meantime, disconnecting the lambda's has cured it
cars is limp home now, far to rich ....imho. who said do this then?

·
Administrator
31,885 Posts
Abbey M/S said:
Ron at RK

It' was running a 1 bar abbey setup, before i changed the turbo's and elbows for steel internals and HKS elbows. Thats what created the misfire, and although a powerFC is the ideal solution, disconnecting the lambda's has stopped the mis, he said it would run rich, but would be ok to drive to Germany next week!

now you've got me worried....

mook

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers Abbey - next step was gonna be to give you guys a call actually so I'm glad you responded. This could well be the case, as the connector to the AFM was hastily wired together by me using some pretty shite materials. Think I'll take it somewhere to have that wired up properly and see if that makes a difference. Cheers everyone :bowdown1:

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
BNR32
6,666 Posts
Abbey M/S said:
Jono/Emma

Sounds like a AFM fault or maybe a dodgy Lambda.

Ditto what Mark says, but as Apexi's are a dry filter so AFM contamination
couldn't be caused by filter. As for flow, the restriction is only slightly less the
a std box and flow would be unchanged really, besides ecu should be able to
compensate.

Get it checked ASAP!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Massively late response but I'm posting the resolution in case anyone searches for this thread in future.

It was indeed my shoddy wiring of the plug to the AFM. I'd wired using bullet connectors (all I had when I was doing the job). On removing these it was clear that wires had come loose and were hardly making contact :nervous: Oops!

Anyway... got a mate to solder the connections instead so it's all hard wired now and is performing perfectly, as it should! :wavey: Thanks to all for your hypothesiseses :)

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Filter oil on the AFM sensor???

I had a look at an Apexi filter that my brother had and it had been overoiled.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts